hey all.

so i have two comps, uptairs and downstairs (downstairs is mine)
on my downstairs computer, whenever i start it up it goes fine until i get to the desktop here i am allowed one mouse click before everything freezes on me.

this is really pissing me off and im not sure what to do so i thought id come to the pit before i went to a professional, how smart am i?

so what i'm asking i, has anyone ever encountered this problem and have fixed it?

or

does anyone know how to do like a deep scan or something like that on he computer before the log in / desktop screen??

Thx in adv.

DeJesus
Banquo?

X
ok, what you need to do is run your computer in SAFE MODE
so basically it will start up with only the system32 files on.
run your anti-virus what ever it is and see.
but to go to the boot up screen.
i think you need to press F11 on start up. but i may be wrong cause idk if your running XP or vista.
but yeah go to safe mode and then run the deep scan.
I had a somewhat similar problem, I pressed ctrl alt and delete to get task manager up, then end process on explorer.exe. Then go to the applications tab and click new task, and type in "explorer.exe" This restarts the program which allows you to navigate, move mouse etc etc. Then go do a virus scan!
The quickest easiest thing I can think of, is take your HDD out, put it into your upstairs computer, get all the important stuff off (Boot windows from your upstairs computers original HDD), then stick the HDD back into the downstairs computer, reformat, get the stuff back on it, and bam. Problem solved =)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by convictionless
ok, what you need to do is run your computer in SAFE MODE
so basically it will start up with only the system32 files on.
run your anti-virus what ever it is and see.
but to go to the boot up screen.
i think you need to press F11 on start up. but i may be wrong cause idk if your running XP or vista.
but yeah go to safe mode and then run the deep scan.

with XP its F8
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
To Jesstaa

my upstairs comp is a laptop so i dont think that'll work

To Everyone Else,

thanks and i'll try these things, sadly i cannot right now, but later......

THANKS
Banquo?

X
Quote by BobChicken
with XP its F8

thanks HAHAHA, on my vista its f11 so yeah.
But TS do it as soon as possible cause if its a worm varient of a virus it could move onto your other computer if you share a internet connection.
Last edited by convictionless at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by convictionless
thanks HAHAHA, on my vista its f11 so yeah.
But TS do it as soon as possible cause if its a worm varient of a virus it could move onto your other computer if you share a internet connection.

well its been ****ed up for about a week now and my other computer is fine. (and yea my comps an XP)

how long would it take for this 'worm virus' to take effect?
Banquo?

X