Used the searchbar, didn't find a thread on this surprisingly.

A lot of people seemed to be obsessed with this guitar, and especially the Big Dipper pickups that are in it, however I just don't see why. My friend has one and I think it's ok, decent feel and all but not the best as far as playability goes, I have played many a Strat better than this one. What really gets me is how people are willing to pay like $500 for the pickups when they're not even that good. My friend hated them and replaced them with the David Gilmour EMGs (which are much better) and let me borrow the old pickguard assembly, which I then dropped into my Squier. I only heard a modest improvement in tone from the stock Squier pups, cleans were improved but forget about anything dirty with these things (and don't say it's my gear, I've used more than what's in my sig).

I think it's all in the name, since so many people loooooooooove John Mayer. What do you guys think?
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by edbert
I only heard a modest improvement in tone from the stock Squier pups, cleans were improved but forget about anything dirty with these things (and don't say it's my gear, I've used more than what's in my sig).

Are you retarded?
Quote by corey3815
Most people with a JM Strat don't play it through a Fender Frontman.

lol right?

Who is really expecting a dirty sound from a JM strat? His pickups are wired speciffically so that he controls most of his tone through the amp, i think he may scoop his mids but im not certain.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by kaosfire
lol right?

Who is really expecting a dirty sound from a JM strat? His pickups are wired speciffically so that he controls most of his tone through the amp, i think he may scoop his mids but im not certain.

Apparently the pickups are responsible for the scooped mids. I just don't see them being worth so much money.

And yeah, go ahead and hate on my amp, I barely use it
Quote by edbert
Apparently the pickups are responsible for the scooped mids. I just don't see them being worth so much money.

And yeah, go ahead and hate on my amp, I barely use it

What we meant by the amp thing was, its not a great amp, your not going to be gettng the full potential out of the guitar. People who have the money for a JM strat are usually playing through a much better amp.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by kaosfire
What we meant by the amp thing was, its not a great amp, your not going to be gettng the full potential out of the guitar. People who have the money for a JM strat are usually playing through a much better amp.

Ok...

1. It's not my guitar.
2. It's never played through my Frontman.

I heard the difference (or lack thereof) between the stock squiers and the big dippers on my multi-fx on a clean setting. Unfortunately I don't have access to a nice tube amp which would allow me to make a better judgement, but I'm just making an observation with what I have access to, I don't think the pickups are worth $500, which is what they go for on ebay.

EDIT: I bring this up because my friend is selling his guitar with the EMGs and the big dippers separately. He paid $820 for the guitar (manager's special at GC, insane price right?) and $300 for the EMGs, so he's about to make a sick profit, all because people love John Mayer
Last edited by edbert at Feb 28, 2009,
..or because people love his sound.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Dude how are you ever going to know what the pickups are worth until you actually put them into a good amp?
It's one of the best sounding and most responsive Strats that Fender makes nowadays. Go play it through a proper amp and you'll see what it's all about. And if you can't hear the ENORMOUS difference, the you have a serious problem with your hearing.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
My buddy and I played a JM strat at guitar center through a 70's Bassman head on a VH stack, an Egnater, a half stack of Marshalls, a 60's Princeton, a 65 Twin Reverb reissue, and some new Fender amp that I can't remember the name of (it was supposed to be able to model a couple vintage amps). We couldn't get JM tone out of any of them. The guitar just seemed flat. He's a huge JM fan, and he didn't like it at all. Me, I'll take a set of Texas Specials over Big Dippers any day.

I did a little reading and found out that JM rarely uses the Big Dipper pickups. He prefers underwound pups. If you're looking for JM tone, that would be a good starting point.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Maybe because John Mayer uses Dumbles (or his Two Rock Dumble clones), and that amp has a lot more to do with his tone than his pickups? Dumbles have Fender-ish qualities, but they don't sound like Fenders.

Sorry, I just think it's funny when people get a set of pickups or a certain guitar and put it through any random amp and are disappointed when they don't get a certain artist's tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Maybe because John Mayer uses Dumbles (or his Two Rock Dumble clones), and that amp has a lot more to do with his tone than his pickups?

That, and like I said. Mayer doesn't use the big Dippers very often at all.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Quote by al112987
Sorry, I just think it's funny when people get a set of pickups or a certain guitar and put it through any random amp and are disappointed when they don't get a certain artist's tone.

I really hope that wasn't directed at me.
no, not at you, at the thread in general. along with all the threads I see around here that ask "what pickups or guitar will get me so and so's tone" or when I see someone with a les paul standard wondering why they don't sound like Jimmy Page playing through a frontman.
Ive got a JM strat along with a Mesa Boogie dual rectifier, and it sounds fantastic.
i can't get his exact tone but it comes close with scooped mids.
Quote by strat2finish
My buddy and I played a JM strat at guitar center through a 70's Bassman head on a VH stack, an Egnater, a half stack of Marshalls, a 60's Princeton, a 65 Twin Reverb reissue, and some new Fender amp that I can't remember the name of (it was supposed to be able to model a couple vintage amps). We couldn't get JM tone out of any of them. The guitar just seemed flat. He's a huge JM fan, and he didn't like it at all. Me, I'll take a set of Texas Specials over Big Dippers any day.

+1, at least someone agrees with me.

It appears I have angered the JM Cult or something. I'll take my $1500 and buy an American Deluxe instead, with cash to spare.