Hello there,

I'm am currently looking for a guitar for my gf. She has been playing classical for around 6 years and now wants to go electric

I need your help on this one. She has €350 (some tolerance up or down, though). She has already picked an amp. She enjoys rock music but wants something versatile, that can go with all styles.

What do you guys think? Help me out, please!

Thanks,

MiN3R
'59 STRAT!

Quote by flanringo
none of you know a thing about guitars! all you can do is post pictures of your stupid squiers and dean razorbacks. someone step it up and please help me! i'm sorry i made fun of your stupid squier! and that razorback is pretty sweet!
Last edited by MiN3R at Feb 28, 2009,
Well, what does she play? "Rock music" is a pretty broad term... Also, what qualities does she want? Trem or fixed bridge? Active or Passive pups? Singles or Hums?
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Fender's are pretty versatile for most rock, but for heavier stuff i'd suggest an ESP or something.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
yeah what skynrd said. is she gonna shred? is she gonna mash on pwchords all day? is she gonna abuse the whammy? we need to know her defiinition of 'ROCK'
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
For simplicity and versatility, you can never really go wrong with a strat, les paul, or sg. They fit most styles.
I think a fixed bridge would be better, not too many guitars with decent trems in that price range... Better if they were passive...

Versatility is key here: Rock can be soft rock or hard rock. The axe must handle a broad amount of styles, so the best bet would be HSH or HSS, or even HH with coil switches, etc.
'59 STRAT!

Quote by flanringo
none of you know a thing about guitars! all you can do is post pictures of your stupid squiers and dean razorbacks. someone step it up and please help me! i'm sorry i made fun of your stupid squier! and that razorback is pretty sweet!
get a Schecter C-1 Plus...it's HH, with a coil tap...$500 USD, which isn't much more than 350 euros...google says 350 euros = 444 USD

but yeah, the C-1 Plus is definitely one of my favorite guitars...ever. I love mine. I've played many Gibsons, Ibanez's, and Fenders that don't come CLOSE...
good luck
If a schecter C-1+ is too much, it is a good suggestion, I would recommend a Schecter Gryphon, often called a poor man's C-1 Classic, it plays beautifully though. But what amp did she pick out? This will be crucial to her tone.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
epiphone G-400, very useful, can play almost anything.
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
nah...I wasn't tooo impressed by the G-400 last time I played one...at all. I would go with a Schecter or PRS SE

although I feel the C-1 Plus is the best for her, since it has a coil tap, is cheap, and the stock pickups are better than epiphones...

EDIT-apparently the C-1 is 600 USD, which is a good 200 out of the price range...and according to MF, it's discontinued...wtf?
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Feb 28, 2009,
A spider III, I know you guys don't like it, but she does, I have one myself and I am fond of it :P

EDIT: c-1+ is apparently a bitch to get in Portugal :-/
'59 STRAT!

Quote by flanringo
nevermind the c-1...if u look @ my last post (edited after ur post), it's way more than I remember paying...I got it on Black Friday...
either way, good luck to you finding a good one for her.
Quote by JF-SH1
If a schecter C-1+ is too much, it is a good suggestion, I would recommend a Schecter Gryphon, often called a poor man's C-1 Classic, it plays beautifully though. But what amp did she pick out? This will be crucial to her tone.

yeah, I just noticed...haha
Ok man, thanks for your help. Any more suggestions?
'59 STRAT!

Quote by flanringo
ESP EC-100QM is really nice for ~350 euros...I don't know how easy it would be to get to portugal, but I have played it and it's a damn nice guitar for the money
Quote by Skynyrd890
nah...I wasn't tooo impressed by the G-400 last time I played one...at all. I would go with a Schecter or PRS SE

although I feel the C-1 Plus is the best for her, since it has a coil tap, is cheap, and the stock pickups are better than epiphones...

EDIT-apparently the C-1 is 600 USD, which is a good 200 out of the price range...and according to MF, it's discontinued...wtf?

From what I've heard, G-400 are hit or miss, so if she tries it out, sh may get an amazing one that they can be considered.
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
Quote by MiN3R
A spider III, I know you guys don't like it, but she does, I have one myself and I am fond of it :P

EDIT: c-1+ is apparently a bitch to get in Portugal :-/

Well obviously my first impluse is to say "convince to get a different amp", but if she likes it than that is what matters. I would still say try a Schecter Gryphon, great guitar, since it is a Schecter like the C-1+ it is probably a bitch to get as well, but it is worth it
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Since she'd like to purchase from UK stores (weak sterling pound and all), the schecters are a no-go. If she bought the Mexi strat, would she be paying to have fender written on the headstock?
'59 STRAT!

Quote by flanringo
Argh, not a Spider III! I got good use out of mine, but urgh... but I respect her decision - if that's what she wants, then no one is stoppin' her.

As for a guitar, that's roughly what, $700 CDN, so that could get her a Fender Standard Stratocaster, or maybe like a Fender Classic players, but then again, the prices have gone up so maybe not. She could definitely afford a MIM Strat though. That's my suggestion.
MIM HSS strat

/thread
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by DaddyBarbs
MIM HSS strat

/thread

I forgot to mention to get an HSS Strat if she thinks about getting a Strat.

so, +1, DaddyBarbs