hey guys, i've been diving into the world of effects but on a very simple level lately after wireing my guitar build. now i'm hooked. anyways, I was talking to a guy last summer about guitar stuff and he mentioned someone he knew took an old walkman cassette player and turned it into a pedal after adding different parts to taste. it makes sense to me and i'm halfway through it, opened it up and got the circuit board away from the plastic bits. here's my question.

Can I power it with a 9v adapter? Its made for double A's and i'm no electrickery guy so idk if a nine volt would make it explode or last longer.
Also, there's a motor for driving the wheel for the cassette, i could either just cut it out or find something useful for it, any ideas?
Finally, ummm... i'm not quite sure where the input is, cause once i got it open, i the wires weren't quite what i expected, i'll take a pic and edit it in
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Invader jim i love you! thank you so much for that schematic. i'm still new so i've got some questions, you may have opened a can of worms.

I was thinking to do it mostly because when i removed it from the casing, i have left the springs to hold the batteries... kind of loose? so idk how well they will hold a battery and the casing i had in mind for it is made of metal so idk how that would interfere.

my question is in this picture that doesn't quite to me add up to your instructions.

on the left from top to bottom there's the headphone jack, bass booster switch, and the volume pot. it looks to me like the tape pickup goes straight to the headphone jack?? so i'm confused. and the other wires that went to the play buttons are both red, so i'm double confused.

Thanks in advanced!
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Play button wires: doesn't matter. Wire the switch to either.

The tape pup doesn't go to the phones electrically, but it IS that thing going to the phones in the pic.

The bass boost is mounted on the PCB, so you can leave it. I took mine out because it was seperate from the board.
awesome, so i'll just replace the tape pup with an input jack and run one of the play button wires to a SLSP switch and... then to the tip of the output jack and the other to the sleeve? thats all i'm still confused about.

Edit: ...nvm i just thought about what i wrote and thats what the headphone jack is for right? but then, whats the use of the switch on the wire that would then go nowhere? also, how hard would it be to turn that headphone jack into a 1/4 inch?

thanks a ton man

double edit: yeah, SPST, i actually just learned what that was tonight. its pretty much a gate kind of switch right? on or off?
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Feb 28, 2009,
for fear that you may not have noticed my edits, and i'm running low on time, i'm gonna post this and direct you to them haha
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Yeah, edits don't bump threads..and lol at your username.

Anyway, If you wanna replace that phone jack with a 1/4", all you do is remove the 1/8" one and soler leads to their appropriate spots. You can find a pinout on google.

Better yet, there's a tutorial on instructables.com. Just go there.