HI all. Ive been having alot of problems with my gear at the moment cos the sound im looking for is getting really hard. My current gear is an LTD v 200 with a line 6 amp and metal master distortion pedal. I know everyone is gna jump and say that my EMG-ESP pickups are **** and i agree actually. The sort of sound im looking for is more like Megadeths 1986 Peace Sells with very crunchy rhythms which is not what im getting right now. Im open to all suggestions and possibilities.
Replace the spider, I believe Megadeth use Crate Blue Voodoo?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
First of all you're going to have to replace the spider with a REAL tube amp.
And ditch the metal master once you've bought a new amp.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
New amp, ditch the distortion boxes. Those guitars a perfectly fine, and so are EMG's in a metal-oriented guitar.
New amp, the Spider-addiction syndrom is fatal, as it Really doesn't sound very good at all.
Do you have anything of a budget that you could put towards a new amp?
pickups aren't the main source of the problem, it's your ****ty amp..

get a tube amp..

also, using pedals infront of a modelling amp doesn't work so great...
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I appreciate the replies so far guys. Yes im willing to change my amp and i think in terms of budget id be looking at maybe £100 to £150 somethin like that. And im very confused as far as what tube amps are and modelling amps.
A tube amp is an amp that runs off of Vacuum tube power, like in the old days when everything was. The reason why amps that run off these are very popular still to this day (as tube powered TV's and Radio's are not) is because they sound much better, and are generally a much higher quality peice of technology compared to the majority of solid-state amps. A modelling amp is an amp with various amp models in them, for one to "Model" their own tone. Higher end modelling amps are very cool, and same with higher-end SS (or solid-state) heads. Solid state run off a direct circuitry and create tone through the electronics in the head, where tube amps create tone through their pre-amp and power-amp tubes, allowing for saturation/distortion/br00talz to be created naturally, not artificially, which is what SS/modelling amps do. The problem with making them artificially is that it's very easy, and for most cheap amps the sound quality just goes to ****.
For 100-150 pounds, look into Vypyr amps, and being located in the UK, I'm sure there are some good deals, but check out a Peavey Vypyr 30, and get the guy in the store to give you the run-down of how to edit everything on one, as some find them confusing at first. They are a modelling amp, but a very nice-sounding, inexpensive one. They'll get you a metal tone for sure, and for cheap. Much better sound than a Line 6 amp in that price range would. A tube amp is out of your price range ATM, but if you save more, I'm sure you could get a decent tube-combo amp, then when boosted could give you a great metal tone.

TL;DR: Peavey Vypyr 30, get guy to show you how to use it, it'll get you a Megadeth-esque tone
Last edited by bowen at Feb 28, 2009,
tbh, i wouldnt recommend getting a vypyr 30, even though its a pretty good amp. i'd suggest saving until you have enough to go into the tube route. just like someone suggested, the crate blue voodoo + a 2x12 cabinet would be good to save up for if you want that megadeth thrash sound. you could also save up for a marshall JCM900, very good amp. of course what you want to hear is the vypyr route, but even if you get one, you'll still be using modeling, and since you already have a spider, then blah blah blah... just my opinion
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Having double checked the exchange rate with my countries currency (Bahraini Dinar), i can up my budget from £150 to about £250 to £300. Will that get me any good tube amps and any recommendations? I wouldnt mind if they were second hand.
Quote by NadNaj
Having double checked the exchange rate with my countries currency (Bahraini Dinar), i can up my budget from £150 to about £250 to £300. Will that get me any good tube amps and any recommendations? I wouldnt mind if they were second hand.

hmm, could you tell us how much a crate blue voodoo head costs over there? just so we can get an idea of what the exchange rate is
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
A crate blue voodoo head costs about £520 (which is about $749). Seems way out of my budget. Is there some sort of significance with this head?
Quote by NadNaj
A crate blue voodoo head costs about £520 (which is about $749). Seems way out of my budget. Is there some sort of significance with this head?

well, megadeth used it at some point, and considering its relatively cheap for a tube head, i thought maybe you should look into it. anyways, used, if you get lucky, you could score one pretty cheap + a 2x12 cabinet, once your budget grows a bit. idk, just a thought
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
The Blue Voodoo is okay. Your best bet if you wanna go the tube route is just to save a little bit more. Also, see what you could get for selling the spider and the pedal. It's harder for me to try and recommend stuff since things go for different prices where you live, but even a simple tube combo with an OD pedal is going to be better than the spider IMHO.

I think on Peace Sells, they used Marshall's, but I dunno for sure. It sounds like they cranked them up to get the natural power amp distortion though, which is what you'll have to do to get a good tone out of the Blue Voodoo. Translation - It'll be very loud, so beware if you live in an apartment or have neighbors that will complain, lol
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
The Blue Voodoo is okay. Your best bet if you wanna go the tube route is just to save a little bit more. Also, see what you could get for selling the spider and the pedal. It's harder for me to try and recommend stuff since things go for different prices where you live, but even a simple tube combo with an OD pedal is going to be better than the spider IMHO.

I think on Peace Sells, they used Marshall's, but I dunno for sure. It sounds like they cranked them up to get the natural power amp distortion though, which is what you'll have to do to get a good tone out of the Blue Voodoo. Translation - It'll be very loud, so beware if you live in an apartment or have neighbors that will complain, lol

yeah, blue voodoos do sound a bit cold and harsh imo until you get saturation.
but i still think that or a jcm800/900 would do him well in the long run
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
yeah, blue voodoos do sound a bit cold and harsh imo until you get saturation.
but i still think that or a jcm800/900 would do him well in the long run
I agree.

I find the BV to be kind of like a JCM clone, but not quite as good.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
I agree.

I find the BV to be kind of like a JCM clone, but not quite as good.

speaking of clones, bugera is supposed to be putting out some JCM clones later this year
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
^ That sounds like something to look into, inexpensive and Mustaine does use Marshall's live IIRC.
Thank you everybody for the responses and recommendations, bed time for me but keep the recommendations coming if you have any. Thanx everybody.
Quote by FlightofIcarus

on Peace sells they were still useing Bogner Triple giant preamps and some VHT power amps ran through cabs. Marty used Blue Voodoos for a few years doing the Youthanasia days. dave used Mesa and randall after a while
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
get a blackstar mini stack. i like them, but never had the cash to get one.

once ive finished getting my priority gear set im gonna look into them.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by HouseBoy83
on Peace sells they were still useing Bogner Triple giant preamps and some VHT power amps ran through cabs. Marty used Blue Voodoos for a few years doing the Youthanasia days. dave used Mesa and randall after a while
Really? I didn't even know Bogner stuff has been around that long.

Guess you learn something new every day
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by Silver-spear94
get a blackstar mini stack. i like them, but never had the cash to get one.

once ive finished getting my priority gear set im gonna look into them.

If you're gonna get the Blackstar, you might as well get the krank rev jr pro and turn the treble down, a lot.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.