I went to the guitar store today to check out some Les Pauls and SGs, and figure out what my next purchase will be, since I've been gassing for both for a long time.

I didn't have a huge budget and was planning on just testing some Epiphones, so I tried the Epi LPs....okay, but not so great. I think I confirmed my belief that I don't like playing Les Pauls. I looked around for an Epi SG, the G-400 but there were none in the store (thanks to crappy selection in Edmonton stores). So I said what the hell and tried out a Gibson Faded SG .

Wow!! I must've picked up a good one, cuz that thing blew me away. So easy and comfortable to play, sounded great, and I couldn't find any flaws with it. It was a long time since I played a Gibson, and I've been settling for more budget-priced guitars all the time (sub-$500), but now I see that sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

But the thing is it's $1175 Canadian, plus tax. I'm poor as hell right now (may be out of a job when April starts ), but if I really start saving, find a job, and get my family to chip in I should be able buy one for my birthday in September.

So my question is: Can you recommend an alternative SG-style guitar that's close to that quality? Or do you think I should just go for a Gibson like the one I fell in love with?

What's your experience with Agile, Epiphone, Hagstrom, etc... SGs?

I'm thinking maybe it's time to step it up with my purchase choices and get the guitar I really want instead of settling for less.
you might want to try out a g-400. it's pretty solid
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
well if you're about to be out of the job i'd maybe get a cheaper one lol. but my experience with budget guitars is this: out of the box they are far from perfect, but once you get em set up right with the action, intonation, and your favorite string guage, and possibly some tweaking of the truss rod, you have a great guitar, and good pickups help too thats what may have set the gibson apart. thats what happened with my budget strat copy, as soon as i got these things right, it plays as well as any american fender version
Quote by guitaringnathan
well if you're about to be out of the job i'd maybe get a cheaper one lol. but my experience with budget guitars is this: out of the box they are far from perfect, but once you get em set up right with the action, intonation, and your favorite string guage, and possibly some tweaking of the truss rod, you have a great guitar, and good pickups help too thats what may have set the gibson apart. thats what happened with my budget strat copy, as soon as i got these things right, it plays as well as any american fender version

Yeah, I really should be thinking better lol. It'd be kinda stupid to blow all my cash when I could be unemployed. I'm thinking that once I do get a job, then I would be able to get the Gibson. I'm just hanging on to hope.

I could go for the Epi. It's just that I tried out all the ones in the store a few months ago and they were all really, really bad. I guess I can get one of those and set it up so it plays better. That's an option.
how about finding a new job, Selling stuff you dont need to afford it, or how about finding one used on craigslist.Ive seen Sg standards that have a dent or two go for abuot $550.
Wow TS, I recognize you from TGP forums.

Anyhow, the thing with budget guitars is that they can be hit or miss. If you find one that really fits and plays well go for it. However keeping budget in mind you're also likely to find a G-400 that plays well also. Since you'd have to wait till September, you won't even know if that same Faded SG will be there.

I'd keep the Gibson SG option open but over the next couple months try out some of the cheaper SG's like the Epiphone and see how the budget situation goes. If money is still tight in a few months you can try to get a G-400 that plays well and get it set up. If by some chance you do have the money and find a Faded SG that you like then even better.

BTW if it matters, I played several Epi Les Pauls which weren't all too great but after trying a few I found the one i have now, which played the best. After getting it set up at the shop it played fantastically, haven't picked up a guitar yet that I plays as nicely for me.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 28, 2009,
IMO, the Agile SG type guitars look like they rode the short bus to school

You can try to find a MIJ Epiphone SG, or a Greco, Burny, Edwards SG.

If it's just a nice double cut you're looking for, try the Ibanez AR, the Guild S100, the Yamaha SBG, or the LTD/ESP Viper.