Ok so i drove the hour and a half to my nearest GuitarCenter today. I wanted to get some tubes, among other things. I have a Mesa Triple Rec. and I need power and preamp tubes. they only had 4 preamp tubes, and the guy told me that would work but i wouldnt have reverb. well triples dont have reverb and he kept argueing with me that i did, but i know i dont.. but any way, so i went to get the power tubes and i need 6 of them. I am getting EL34, i dont play metal. he had one pack of 4, and a pack of 2. but one had a rating of 6 writing on it, and the other 5. he said i couldnt use different ones, but he didnt know what that rating meant... what does it mean? and what kind should i get?
Fender Hightway one Texas Tele
Ibanez sc420 in black pearl
Ibanez sc320 in purple haha
Ibanez RG in black
Fender Squire ha my first guitar

Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier head
Marshall MG100 Halfstack
lots of PA stuff. all Yamaha
Don't go to Guitar Center for tubes.

Go to www.dougstubes.com or www.thetubestore.com and order tubes from them

Send them an email asking what tubes you should put in, and they'll help you out better than some idiot who thinks a Triple Recto has reverb.
ok thanks man i will do.
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
but can anyone tell me what the ratings mean?
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
What ratings?

If you're talking about Groove tube ratings, I think they measure the headroom, but I'm not sure.

Look into =c=/SED tubes for your amp.
kind of offtopic but why do you have a triple rec if you dont play metal i mean you can get some good punk tones but the cleans aren't that great and with that amp metal is a given
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
^I've yet to hear a Mesa that didn't have an outstanding clean, including a recto.
kind of offtopic but why do you have a triple rec if you dont play metal i mean you can get some good punk tones but the cleans aren't that great and with that amp metal is a given
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
My recto has beautiful cleans. Mesa don't have good cleans I say BS!

Also TS the ratings on grove tubes. As far as they go 4-5-6s on grove tubes will match up with Mesa specs. Mesa uses a color code (yellow, green etc.) If you get grove tubes as long as they're in the 4-6 range you will be fine.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
My $0.02

For preamp tubes (12AX7s) go with Tung Sols...best OD sound out there, very balanced tone. Anything else preamp (12AT7 on reverb maybe? or is that SS driven?) go w/ JJ. Most reliable.

Power amp tubes, definately go with JJ tubes, regardless of type you go with...they overbuild those things like you can't believe. NEVER has a reliability problem with them, which is way more than can be said about EH, Groove Tubes, or various chinese tubes...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by TOMMYB22

ah i dont use the clean, at all. but i dont play metal. I play kinda pop/punk/bluesy stuff. I like warm gain. and i hear the el34 are more of the marshall sounding gain. 6l6 are more for metal. is this true? and if so what is the best EL34 for my style. The guy at the shop told me the JJ of really high gain...true?
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
6L6s are used by Fender in all of their bigger amps, they're definately not metal.

They just have a tighter bass response than EL34s...
Quote by kcdakrt

Tube aren't metal or not metal, that all depends on the amp. That being said, they do affect the tone somewhat. EL34s will probably get you more mids and a warmer sound, but it should be fundamentally the same.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by DLrocket89
6L6s are used by Fender in all of their bigger amps, they're definately not metal.

So the fact that they're used in Soldano, Freyette, Rivera, 5150's, XXX's, Diezels, and Bogners makes them not metal, too, right?
Quote by imgooley

So the fact that they're used in Soldano, Freyette, Rivera, 5150's, XXX's, Diezels, and Bogners makes them not metal, too, right?

Sorry. I meant "they aren't exclusively metal".

I've A/B/C/D/E/etc just about every power tube make/model out there. 6L6s have tighter bass and less highs than EL34s, in general. tight bass and warmth works well for Fender clean...also works well for metal.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by DLrocket89

I've A/B/C/D/E/etc just about every power tube make/model out there. 6L6s have tighter bass and less highs than EL34s, in general. tight bass and warmth works well for Fender clean...also works well for metal.

ok so this is the opposite of what Kevin said.... the warmth part... i think i will just stick with the EL34 like whats in Marshall Jvm. I like the smooth, warm sound they give off. But what is the best brand to get??
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by cjb8200
ok so this is the opposite of what Kevin said.... the warmth part... i think i will just stick with the EL34 like whats in Marshall Jvm. I like the smooth, warm sound they give off. But what is the best brand to get??

EL34s are the antithesis of "warm" in my mind.

Right now, from my experience and others, JJ's are the best output tubes going. If you want a marshally sound, go EL34. If you want an EL34 with tighter bass, go KT77. If you want more warmth (probably a bad word to describe a 6L6, they CAN be harsh), go 6L6.

dunno what Kevin experienced to say EL34s are warm... My experience has been as follows:

Bright/loose bass ------ bright/tight bass ------ warmer/tight bass

EL34/EL84 ----------------- KT77 ----------------6L6/6V6

Can you have a warm sounding EL34 amp? Sure. Can you have a harsh 6L6 amp, sure. Depends on the rest of the amp. BUT, given a *generic* amp, I would expect the tube voices to come out as I just scaled above...

Just my experience, everyone else's is different (which is the joy of music IMHO)
Quote by kcdakrt

There are plenty of people that use rec's that don't play metal. Hell country bands use rec's, classic rock bands are using them now. They aren't just metal amps.

And the guy at guitar center is a douche. They do that. And then some guy who knows his stuff comes in there and they won't even hire him. They want to hire all these cool looking emo kids.
If he's going to be switching to Kt77's or another brand of el34's he needs a good bias. I hope he isn't just popping them in. It sounds like he might not know a lot about tubes. I hope he knows you can't just pop them in.
Quote by hcsn2008
If he's going to be switching to Kt77's or another brand of el34's he needs a good bias. I hope he isn't just popping them in. It sounds like he might not know a lot about tubes. I hope he knows you can't just pop them in.

Thanks for a reminder. Time for the obligatory note from the lawyer...

TO THE TS: IF YOU DO ANYTHING TO YOUR AMP AND IT BLOWS UP, IT'S NOT MY FAULT.

Crap, it's late...Just realized I don't even know what the original goal of this thread is, w/o rereading it... ug.
Quote by kcdakrt

EL34's give that britsh crunch to an amazingly heavy amp.

I suggest Tung Sol's for the preamps, and Ruby's or JJ's for the power amps.

if you email doug at dougstubes and tell him what type of music you play and what amp you have, he can recommend you a set that will work great!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by hcsn2008

Well there is no bias adjustment in a Rec. or in any mesa from my understanding. its all hardwired. if you want to re bias it for anything other than 6L6 or el34, you have to start cutting, and rewire it. I know alot about electronics, but im not doing that... and i sure as hell am not letting some tech do it.... If KT77's are the exact same as EL34 then i can do it, otherwise... no hope... but thanks... i will send this doug guy a email... i have heard his name many of times... so that should be good... ok thanks guys... i think someone up there answered my original question....
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by DLrocket89

Depends on the circuit more, anyway. What amp are you running them in? And Fender amps are way brighter IMO, than something like a Laney. There are different types of 6L6's as well.

Electric Amps, Matamps, and Oranges use EL34's, and they are notoriously dark. Black and Silverfaced fender amps are notoriously bright.

Your argument doesn't really hold water.
Quote by imgooley
Depends on the circuit more, anyway. What amp are you running them in? And Fender amps are way brighter IMO, than something like a Laney. There are different types of 6L6's as well.

Electric Amps, Matamps, and Oranges use EL34's, and they are notoriously dark. Black and Silverfaced fender amps are notoriously bright.

Your argument doesn't really hold water.

reexplanation:

everything else being equal (guitar, player, pedals, preamp, poweramp (excepting tubes), drift of component values over time, age and usage of tubes, alignment of planets, etc etc etc etc), TYPICALLY EL34s are brighter and have looser bass.

I've built an amp that can use any and all tubes up to a KT90 (a bit more powerful than a KT88). Of the 3 EL34s, 1 KT77, and 3 6L6s I tested, all three EL34s were brighter/harsher w/ looser bass than the KT77, which was in the middle-ground. All three 6L6s were warmer than the others. This vote was unanimous between myself, an amp-building friend, and two guitarist friends.
Quote by kcdakrt

I ordered from dougtubes... ruby EL34 and his preamp mesa kit... hope im happy with it...
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by DLrocket89
reexplanation:

everything else being equal (guitar, player, pedals, preamp, poweramp (excepting tubes), drift of component values over time, age and usage of tubes, alignment of planets, etc etc etc etc), TYPICALLY EL34s are brighter and have looser bass.

I've built an amp that can use any and all tubes up to a KT90 (a bit more powerful than a KT88). Of the 3 EL34s, 1 KT77, and 3 6L6s I tested, all three EL34s were brighter/harsher w/ looser bass than the KT77, which was in the middle-ground. All three 6L6s were warmer than the others. This vote was unanimous between myself, an amp-building friend, and two guitarist friends.

Now, this makes sense. All things equal, EL34's will have looser low end and a chewier midrange, which some people will classify as harshness, and more upper mids. I find 6L6's (depending on what type) to be somewhat flatter with a bigger low end, and a glassy high end. That's not the case with 5881's though.

You're right, though. Some amps just don't like certain tubes.