You guys all know this song, right?
Well, i cant get the hammer ons to sound right. They're not as "crisp" as they should be. Is there a amp setting for this, or what? I know he uses a pick, but im no good with those, so any help?
I also dont know if this is the right forum....

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
I usually just apply slightly more pressure when hammering notes than fretting them, it makes it sound a lot cleaner. New strings help too, especially steel ones.
Quote by Caltelt
You guys all know this song, right?
Well, i cant get the hammer ons to sound right. They're not as "crisp" as they should be. Is there a amp setting for this, or what? I know he uses a pick, but im no good with those, so any help?
I also dont know if this is the right forum....

You lose. Umm maybe you could use a pick. Boost your treble and bass, cut mids maybe?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
This is a tough song, I know the problem you are having. New strings do help indeed. The biggest fix is to get a stronger hand. Build the strength to do it. It is a double hammer on and unless you hammer both of them hard you will not get the right sound. Easy right? Well not so much when it is repeated so often and so fast. Practice Practice Practice, slow and HARD! Also, I find that it helps the sound of the song to hammer on to the 12 on A and hold it while you pluck the 10 on G. This is a really fast maneuver and does not really make a visual impact, but the sound impact it makes is HUGE!
If you're having trouble getting that "crispiness", boost your treble, and even use a distortion pedal with it's gain very close to 0. It will add that extra bit of bite which will emphasize through the hammers.

This is a fun song to play. Actually, I'm going to play it now.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
If I had to guess the problem it'd be that you're not hammering hard enough.
Quote by Zycho
If I had to guess the problem it'd be that you're not hammering hard enough.
Nah, it's more about hammering on in the right spot, I'd think. When people try to hammer on harder to get the notes to ring out more they tend to lose their sense of timing. It's a typical beginner mistake.
Quote by smb
Nah, it's more about hammering on in the right spot, I'd think. When people try to hammer on harder to get the notes to ring out more they tend to lose their sense of timing. It's a typical beginner mistake.

I find that if your hammer on technique is normally alright, the problem will be your fretting hand's timing for the hammer ons. Really slow it down and make sure you play three equal notes, rather than rushing it and getting a blur.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1