I've really gotten into acoustic playing/songwriting. I play and sing at my church 2 or 3 times a week, and at my school 2 or 3 times a week as well. Right now i have an Ibanez V70CE and it doesn't sound really good haha.

I have decided to sell my MIM Telecaster, and my birthday is coming up in a few weeks. I've got a guy that will give me $250 for my tele, so with some other money saved up i should have about $500-600 for a new acoustic. I've played a few guitars, but I haven't made up my mind completely. First off, I don't really like cutaways, but it isn't my top priority to have one or not have one. And second, I would really love an OOO or smaller body if at all possible.
I tried the Martin OOOX1, and it sounded pretty nice but the HPL worries me.

Should I buy just an acoustic and put electronics in it? How hard would that be? Any help is appreciated...
If you can save a bit more cash, the Taylor 114e (000 style) is one with no cutaway (I hate cutaways as well), and it sounds wonderful.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
screw that
get a dean dime from hell
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
ive got a martin 00cxae, something like that.

it's black laminate with the thin body. got it like, 4 years ago? around then.
maybe spent $500.

i think they changed the fishman in it, and added another hundred + to the price.

i dont know if i'd spend more than $500 on it. but i can tell you that my personal guitar is a champ. looks and plays exactly the way it did when i first picked it up.

the pickups sounds great thru a PA. i get complements (from serious players) whenever i play out.

a lot of guys will snub them. and honestly, i could have bought almost any guitar in the shop, but i liked the neck, and how easily it plays.

would i say run out and buy it? nah. it's definitely the type of guitar that'll be love or hate.
so you'll need to try one.

i also have other acoustics.
sound hole pickups are a bit of a pain. some are better than others.
drilling a hole for an after market pup isnt hard, but you need to be willing to do it.

you can get more for your money if you buy separate.
but i'm a little lazy at times.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^+1

Lower-end Martins get a lot of undeserved hate. They still have great tone that can compete against cheaper brands, solid wood be damned. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all for solid tops, but sound is more important than construction, and with the exception of the Backpacker, Martins are far superior. Of course, that's just an opinion.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

At that price point HPL or solid top isn't going to make much difference. You want a decent solid top your going to have to pull some more money from somewhere.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
The low end breedlove's sound great through a PA (I've played both the Ac/30 and AC/25 on a gig at my church)
Thanks to everyone, especially Jenny for the very informative post.

I will check out that Martin again. I didn't really get to do it justice, so I'll play it some more this weekend. What pickup should I put in it? And how much do you think it would cost for someone to put it in?
i dont know, i have a fishman in mine, but there are other brands i'm sure should be considered.

mine came with the pickup as it's a different model than yours.
possibly the build is a little different too. i can see that a lot of the materials are the same.

mines similar to the last guitar in this page. like i said, they used to be $500.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?N=100001+11&Ntk=All&Ntt=000+acoustic&Nty=1

i linked this because i also noticed that blueridge for $519.
the specs on that one seem pretty good.

in addition, because you're on a budget here, you might want to also check out takamine guitars. they have OM models, are smaller might be what you're looking for.
we have a dealer near here. they have some really nice guitars.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

i also like how much you'd save with the takamine.

then you can look at pickups with nice preamps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Haha that does sound awesome. Now i just need to figure out what I'm doing with a preamp and pickup

It's so crazy how I can fix anything with an electric guitar, but nothing at all with an acoustic.
Please look into Alvarez. Best acoustics for the money. You can get a new PD80sc if you up your budget a bit. Beautiful guitars.
You noticed that Martin is solid top, right? Its only HPL sides and back. Just wanted to let you know in case you missed it, because you said you liked the tone on that one.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break