I am looking for a small decent sounding amp for my father who just began playing again. Wanted a clean and lead channel. 8" speaker would be fine. He mostly will be playing classic rock, Clapton, Gilmour, Hendrix etc.... Also one requirement is a headphone jack. I was looking at Peavey, Vox and wanted some opinions.
Budget? I'd think a Vox ADVT would do him well.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Agreed. The Vox Valvetronix are good practice/beginner amps, especially for those tones. If your budget reaches a bit higher, look at a Fender Super Champ XD or Vibro Champ XD.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Agreed. The Vox Valvetronix are good practice/beginner amps, especially for those tones. If your budget reaches a bit higher, look at a Fender Super Champ XD or Vibro Champ XD.

for sure the Super Champ sound really good.......never played the vibro.
Vox DA 20 or Super champ
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Peavey Vypyr 15w.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by Fitzpatrick
Marshall MG10CD looks OK....

Except it doesn't sound okay....

I agree with the Vox AD series. Versatile and sounds good.
Vox VT15/30, or AD15/30VT, I wouldnt go for the XL series though, its awesome but wouldn't suit your playing.

It has a attentuator as well which is cool.

Peavey Vypyrs are great, just not good for the music you'd play.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Roland Cube 30w should cover everything
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Thanks for all of your responses. I am going to GC today before the snow in the Northeast to check out the Peavey Vypyr 15W and some others. I think an inexpensive modelling amp for now would be fine, since when he decides what tones he likes he can find that amp which will suit his needs.

NO ONE SUGGESTED A LINE 6 LOL
A great amp is the Kustom tube 12a. I have it and it's great sounding and really cheap for a tube amp. It's got an 8inch speaker and is only about £70. It doesnt have a headphone jack though.
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Quote by greg232
Thanks for all of your responses. I am going to GC today before the snow in the Northeast to check out the Peavey Vypyr 15W and some others. I think an inexpensive modelling amp for now would be fine, since when he decides what tones he likes he can find that amp which will suit his needs.

NO ONE SUGGESTED A LINE 6 LOL

Don't forget to try the Fender Super Champ XD or Vibro Champ XD. They are both cool modelling amps, you just don't hear quite as much about them.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
One of the Vox ad/vt range, they're awesome practice amps.
Last edited by Road Eyes at Mar 1, 2009,