hello guys- this is my first post on ultimate-guitar.com and i know it has been asked a million times but i was looking for a little advice on a new guitar. I currently play my brothers squier strat through a peavy vypyr 30W. I listen mainly to alt/indie stuff like interpol, the strokes, band of horses, coldplay, the flaming lips, the thrills, kings of leon, oasis, radiohead, the shins, the stills, mgmt, and a little wilco, but also to modern rock (weezer, the darkness, the foo fighters, the parlor mob) and classic/arena rock (U2, guns'n'roses, boston, queen, bruce springsteen, the rolling stones, the beatles).

So far, I have looked at MIM telecasters, jaguars, mustangs, epi les pauls, and semihollows like the epi dot or Ibanez artcore. My price range is $300 to $500. (also, i really perfer either black or white guitars) I don't want to be limited to one genre by my guitar.

Fire away
Quote by blackjack48
So far, I have looked at MIM telecasters, jaguars, mustangs, epi les pauls, and semihollows like the epi dot or Ibanez artcore. My price range is $300 to $500. (also, i really perfer either black or white guitars) I don't want to be limited to one genre by my guitar.

Fire away

I play an Ibanez Artcore (upgraded tuners to Sperzel locking and pups to Duncan JB4/SH2), Epiphone G400 (Sperzels and Duncan SH6), and PRS SE Custom 24 (stock). I love 'em all. You can't go wrong with Ibanez AFAIAC. Epiphones are a bit more sketchy -- play several of the same model before you settle on one. The PRS SE series are great, but like Epis, play several before choosing.

I recently traded in my MiM Strat (Lonestar) and Tele -- they sucked compared to the aforementioned guitars IMHO. I've also looked at several Gibsons, but it seems that Epiphones are bulit better (albeit with lesser quality components) and play better than Gibsons under $1500 models (the higher end stuff is top notch, but is hardly worth the ridiculous retail prices).
Thanks for advice. I played an Ibanez AS73 and a Dot, and i liked them both. How much do semi-hollow bodies feedback for you? Can they handle higher-gain stuff? (not metal)
First off, no guitar is going to restrict the genre you play. I've seen people play blues on Jackson Dinkys and metal on Fender Telecasters. I wouldn't recommend and MIM Fenders, just because you'd wind up getting rid of in a few years time due to the awful feel. Judging by what you listen to, I would probably aim for either a semi-hollowbody or an Epiphone.

Epiphones generally sound and feel almost as good as Gibsons, and for a much lower price. A Dot or other Epiphone Semi-Hollow is a good choice if you aren't going to be running huge amounts of gain & effects. If you're worried about feedback or don't want to be restricted to warm, fat semi-hollowbody sounds, consider the Les Paul or SG, both of which are used across a wide variety of genres. And if you're talking looks, nothing looks better in white than a Les Paul, and nothing looks beter in black than an SG... except a Jaguar Special =)
Thanks for your help. I pretty sure I will either get an epi les paul custom, or a Dot/Sheraton. Do you have any experience with Agile guitars? They look like a pretty amazing deal.