I love the Orange tone. I'm looking to upgrade from my stupid spider. I think the AD30HTC might be the PERFECT amp for me! . I'm probably gonna by used in the end of June. Now, I think it can cover Wolfmother and The Parlor Mob (considering they use them), but what about the Black Keys? Could I get that tone? Anyway, youtube demos can only give me so much. If you could give me the best description possible for me, what they can cover, how their cleans are, the highest gain it can do, basically everything, then that would help! Any info at all!!! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!
Meanwhile, I'm gonna go check out Harmony Central for reviews!

Go look it up on youtube, there are a million videos.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
To get The Black Keys' sound, you'll need to get a good fuzz pedal or 40. If I'm not mistaken, the guitar player from The Black Keys generally has a clean amp with various kinds of fuzz pedals.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^Yarp

I dunno how similar it is to the rocker 30, but the rocker 30 I tried was pretty fizzy at low volumes and kinda of muddy. It sounded better when it was opened up a bit but the mud was still there. Too dark for my tastes I guess.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by TNfootballfan62
To get The Black Keys' sound, you'll need to get a good fuzz pedal or 40. If I'm not mistaken, the guitar player from The Black Keys generally has a clean amp with various kinds of fuzz pedals.

hmmm... good thing i don't have a fuzz yet... . Been meaning to get one for awhile anyway. (Not that it'd sound very good on a spider anyway!). Do you have any suggestions for a good vintage/Black Keys sounding fuzz? i want it to be high quality, but around $150 please!

I think a cool cat fuzz would do you pretty well, it's dirt cheap as well. I liked it better than the fuzz face I built though it isn't nearly as fuzzy or raw as a fuzz face.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I think a cool cat fuzz would do you pretty well, it's dirt cheap as well. I liked it better than the fuzz face I built though it isn't nearly as fuzzy or raw as a fuzz face.

OK, I'll check them out.

On a related pedal note, I've been checking out Tone Bone as well. Know anything about 'em? Are they any good? They look solid, but I have no way of testing them myself.

Youtube? Sorry, it's all I got.

Also, there's a clip of the fuzz face in my profile, check it out if you want.
I'm not sure what to tell you about which fuzz to get. There are hundreds of them out there. Goolz could probably be of more help, here...

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
OK you mean the Cool Cat as in Dani Cool Cat metal-stompbox-that-looks-like-plastic cool cat? and it's good??? Ah well there's one on ebay for 2.00 so i bid just to check it out if i can get it for that EDIT: is gooley on?

I don't think so, but he's never far away.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
^^It's not a bad pedal, very well built. Kind of reminds me of a big muff.

Goolz is probably at work or asleep if he's not online.
I wonder if he's gonna pop in the thread soon and wonder why we're talking about him. Ehh, imma check out that cool cat on youtube really fast.

Dan, the guitarist from The Black Keys usually uses cranked up tube amps with some fuzz pedals.

I know he uses a Sovtek Green Russian Big Muff live for an extra boost or fuzz. (This could change though)
He changes his gear around a bit, mainly using semi-hollow guitars and various tube amps.

When i saw TBK live Dan had a Marshall stack and an Orange head.
He uses an Orange too? anyway, I'm not gonna get a vintage muff... I really don't need it. I may get a fuzz, but I already have a Russian Muff now so I can just use that. I'm going to get a Radial Tone Bone Classic eventually too, and that will be the end all of every distortion I'll need. And I thought Dan always played two amps at the same time?

IIRC, Andrew Stockdale uses Rockerverb 100 heads through Orange PPC412's.

A Rocker 30 head would do you better for that kind of sound.

The only two current production Orange amps I like are the Retro 50 and the OR50H. Two great amps. The Rocker 30 is also a good choice because it's relatively affordable.

The thing about Orange, though, is that they are very thick and gooey sounding, like Kevin said. But if you play stuff like Wolfmother or other stoner rock type stuff, it will work well.

If you lean more to a Black Keys type sound, a two amp setup is ideal. One that's british voiced and clean (and loud) and a more U.S. voiced one to go with it, that you can crank for some grit while retaining clarity.

While Dan uses a Superlead live currently, and various other amps, like a tweed Bassman and an Ampeg B12x in his setup, he gets a lot of his live tone from that massive 8x12 Marshall cab. He runs the Superlead (or alternatively, I've seen him with a Hiwatt DR103) through the massive cab, which he hits with whatever fuzz he has.

There are a lot of fuzzes that can get you there. I'm currently rotating between my Big Muff and my Belcat R-Fuzz for that kind of sound. If you end up with an Orange, and still want to run a fuzz, I suggest a Tonebender type clone to shore up the low end a bit. He used a Tonebender clone on The Big Come Up, if I remember right.

Also: One can never have too many fuzzes, IMO. It's good to have a lot of different fuzzes to find a voice that suits a situation. I've been using my Artec fuzz for my stoner metal/Sabbath type stuff, and it kills for that stuff.

For amps, you might also want to look into Laneys, Sovteks, old Bassman heads, some Epiphone tube amps (not the Valve Junior for this purpose), tweed type fender clones, Gibson amps, old Silvertones, and some Valco/Supro amps. Laneys are freakin great amps.

Also, if you can find an Ampeg VT, or old V4 head, those would do very well for you as well. They're pretty loud and clean, so they're great for running fuzzes into.

Hope that helped
Are you sure he uses Rockerverbs? I know for a fact he used an AD30 at Bonnaroo. And for some reason I thought he used a Thunderverb too? Regardless, i love the tone of both the Rocker and AD, it's just whichever one I can find cheaper.
I actually saw a Gibson amp a couple months ago at my local GC, didn't get a chance to play though. Long gone. How much do you reckon the amps you mentioned at the bottom cost? And are you saying i should get those after the Orange or instead of the Orange? Anyway, that Wolfmother/stoner rock is the main thing I'm after. The Keys come second, and only because I play the other style more. Thanks for the help.

You can get an old Ampeg VT22 for about 400-600 dollars, a V4 head for around 600 dollars, a V4 cab for about 300 dollars, used laneys for around the same price.

Either of those would do well for what you want, especially the Laneys. Like an AOR.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Yarp

I dunno how similar it is to the rocker 30, but the rocker 30 I tried was pretty fizzy at low volumes and kinda of muddy. It sounded better when it was opened up a bit but the mud was still there. Too dark for my tastes I guess.

i didnt enjoy the rocker30 either, but i had a mess about on my friends ad30, there wasnt really any muddyness, it was really nice

i'm unfamiliar with the sounds of the black keys etc, but im sure this amp could pull most things off. It got a nice heavy rock tone without needing to be pushed with an OD pedal.

I would consider buying this amp, but i dont want the same gear as my friend
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Last edited by PETERFKNPARKER at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
OK you mean the Cool Cat as in Dani Cool Cat metal-stompbox-that-looks-like-plastic cool cat? and it's good??? Ah well there's one on ebay for 2.00 so i bid just to check it out if i can get it for that EDIT: is gooley on?

I have clips of it up in my profile. Its a good fuzz. Goolz also has clips of his Belcat r fuzz that imo sounds great.