Hey everybody, I need to know, I have been playing guitar for 7 years. I have focused on style and mainly the technical points of playing guitar. I have done some songwriting and learned alot of tunes. I am now interested in taking my playing to the next level. I really want to learn theory. Not necessarly reading sheet music but really understanding key, and really knowing how to write music properly and understand what sounds good and what doesnt. In short, I WANT TO LEARN THEORY, Where should I start? Any books or resources that you would recommend?
Half the lessons on UG.....

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Half the lessons on UG.....

Right, but often I find them a little too fast paced for me. They sometimes jump right into it and I might need a slower approach to some of this.
The Crusade articles on the columns section of the site will help you immensely.

And besides, Theory is not something you can pick up in a day. You need time, patience, and apply theory to music to understand it.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
You don't need to learn to read music to learn theory, but your life will be much easier if you do.
Trying to learn music theory without learning to read sheet music is like learning how to write without learning how to spell. Seriously. Pick up a theory textbook, there are tons of them out there. Start with the basics like spelling simple chords and scales and just work your way up.
The crusade articles are a great way to start.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I'd recommend starting here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

Then reading the crusade articles.

If you understand them, you should be well on your way. Just don't let the terminology intimidate you. It really isn't that complicated.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Tg57
Trying to learn music theory without learning to read sheet music is like learning how to write without learning how to spell. Seriously. Pick up a theory textbook, there are tons of them out there. Start with the basics like spelling simple chords and scales and just work your way up.

That is just not true.

Reading music has nothing to do directly with music theory and creation at all, it's a communication device.

IF you can read every sheet out there, as long as you don't know how intervals work, cadences and Building chords, you won't understand how they work.

Of course human ingenuity can result in seeing the patterns in written music, but by no means is it the direct explanation of music.

It can help in learning theory because alot of theory books/lessons are with classic notation examples.

I can't read music for ****e, but I still have strong understanding of intervals and harmony.

It's more like music are the ideas words are based upon.

Example:
You can say the word "car" and write it down on paper, but if you don't know how the object "car" (the car itself) looks like or is used for, ur text will result in random words with no substantial logic other then "I can fit words together".

if you can link the sound of the notes and the musictheory together it will work as well.

Stating otherwise is just being stubborn and a fallacy of viewing ur eyes as a "greater" entity then ur ears to communicate, which is ignorant, and most likely (from a physiological point of view) based upon the fact that most of modern day life is regulated through sight (walking through traffic, television, writing in school rather then using audio etc.)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 2, 2009,