The reasn i even started guitar was because i listened to soad and loved them... i can play 6 of their songs soo far like chop suey,atwa,toxicity,killrockand roll,lonelyday,suggestions....

Anyway i cant achieve a good soad tone with the current gear i have now....
epi les paul standard
marshall mg15cd...
boss ds-1

Soo i was wondering what gear that isnt too expensive could get me the best daron malakian tone...

I was looking into a epi g-400 cherry for the guitar
the peavey classic 30 for the amp
and the boss mt-2 metal zone 4 the distortion

Before yall start saying peavey 5150 and marchall jcm800 etc.. i cant afford 2 grand amps man theres gotta be a substitute..

if i am completely off with this please let me know! I rlly want the soad tone !!
Last edited by Powerstrike at Mar 1, 2009,
Well if you want better tone, focus all your money towards a good amp.
And don't just buy another distortion pedal, they all sound like crap.

EDIT: You can get a used 5150 for 500 dollars.
Thats not THAT much dude.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Mar 1, 2009,
soo what amp is best 4 soad? and i need to be able to switch from clean to dist like soad
Why don't you want to create your own tone?

SOAD's sound is muddy, you should be able to replicate that with a Marshall.
Just get a muddy distortion pedal if you want the switching ability.
Quote by neopowell
Killing yourself seems like the only simple solution.
Well, MG15 ain't gonna do it, and classic 30 isn't. I don't think.

Ugh, the guitar will do fine.

But the amp... well I hate to say it... wait, 5150 and all those aren't "2 grand amps" - you can get them used at a reasonable price! Can't you?

*waits for 5150 and Peavey fans to come in*
Not really, not to mention you can find them a lot cheaper than that if you look hard enough.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I have no idea, look up what they use. If I was you I'd focus on making your own tone. Their guitarist probably has 10-25 grand worth of gear plus an entire studio shaping his tone.
Well, what "tone" are you lookin' for?

Toxicity era and before, or like, Hypnotize/Mezmerize?
SOAD used a marshall mode 4 on most of their stuff, and he used ibanez guitars with gibson pickups for a while too. I'd say your best bet would be an old JCM800 combo, or if you could swing it even a JCM900. You wouldn't need a distortion pedal, but maybe get an overdrive pedal to push the dirty channel a little farther. You could get all of that for like 600USD if you look hard enough.
ok ill save up for a used marshall jcm800 combo and a od pedal like boss sd-1?
ill get an ibanez later on
I got a Peavey 5150 combo for $400.

I see them all the time for ~$400-$500

Just save up for something good. Take quality over quantity, having a bunch of mediocre guitars, pedals, and amps isn't going to get you anywhere.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
What they said. ^

Daron used mostly an Ibanez Iceman, custom made though, I believe. Gave him more low end or something. Saw it in an interview with him. I think earlier, on SoaD's self-titled album he may have used a Strat as well, oddly enough. Now it's all about the Gibson SG.

Don't get the BOSS overdrive. You might not even need one. I know he used a Clyde wah, Morley something or other... I think?

Here's that interview/lesson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06h7SJTrbvI&feature=PlayList&p=28A1F42B1AD6C8C8&playnext=1&index=5
Quote by Powerstrike
ok ill save up for a used marshall jcm800 combo and a od pedal like boss sd-1?
ill get an ibanez later on

You wouldn't necessarily need an Ibanez. He used SG's for a while too. With the amount of gain that SOAD used, generally any guitar with a humbucker will work. As far as the Boss SD-1, it's a little too digital for my taste, but if that's what you want then go for it. I would prefer a Fulltone OCD, or a Ibanez TS808 over that. Remember man, tone is all subjective. You might want his tone now, but in a few months or weeks even you may be leaning in a totally different direction, so make sure you can be as flexible as possible with your gear. That's why alot of these guys are telling you to get the more expensive amps. It's all about the quality and flexibility of the product, over the money.
^How the hell can an analog pedal sound digital? What the hell are you talking about?
well on craigslist and ebay all the amps i want that are used are going for 800 bucks no less and that is way too much money right now!! my paycheck every like 2 weeks is only like 80 bucks -.- i cant wait that long my band needs me
But your band will love you if you have a badass amp. I doubt you're gigging yet, are you? If so, it's not a big deal. And you can definitely find them cheaper. Ask in Gear Classifieds if anyone's selling? I'm sure they are.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^How the hell can an analog pedal sound digital? What the hell are you talking about?

Just a personal preference man. I think the Boss SD-1 sounds digital compared to, say, a Tubescreamer. That's just me though.
Quote by stratguy335
Just a personal preference man. I think the Boss SD-1 sounds digital compared to, say, a Tubescreamer. That's just me though.

Personally? Not gonna lie, I really like mine.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
It might be because the few times I've got to play around on one have either been on an amp that is horribly eq'd or the pedal itself is horribly eq'd.
But where is this digital crap coming from? What is digital? It's an all analog pedal. I'm not defending the pedal, I'm not a fan of it, but calling it digital sounding? That's plain dumb.
Processed would be a better word choice than digital if anything, which would basically mean that the pedal wasn't set-up correctly for a boost-mode I'd say.
Digital =/= processed, there's a differance
I recommend saving up more money for a used tube amp as well, you'll survive as a band if you're not gigging, and it'll be much more worth it to do that rather than getting a bunch of mediocre amps before finally getting something decent. I wish I would've done that rather than wasted all the money on the cheapest/loudest alternatives.
Last edited by bowen at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by Powerstrike
The reasn i even started guitar was because i listened to soad and loved them... i can play 6 of their songs soo far like chop suey,atwa,toxicity,killrockand roll,lonelyday,suggestions....

Anyway i cant achieve a good soad tone with the current gear i have now....
epi les paul standard
marshall mg15cd...
boss ds-1

Soo i was wondering what gear that isnt too expensive could get me the best daron malakian tone...

I was looking into a epi g-400 cherry for the guitar
the peavey classic 30 for the amp
and the boss mt-2 metal zone 4 the distortion

Before yall start saying peavey 5150 and marchall jcm800 etc.. i cant afford 2 grand amps man theres gotta be a substitute..

if i am completely off with this please let me know! I rlly want the soad tone !!

If there were cheaper alternatives don't you think the artists themselves would be using them?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
get a carvin mts
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
They sound pretty marshally to me, id say look for a used JCM or DSL (dont know how much marshalls are in US :S)