so anyways...
I have a rather large gig with my band coming up soon. POSSIBLY playing with paramore but we need an all acoustic set for three guitars. We are allowed to use bass, but I don't really want to play it if at all possible. we are pretty good at arranging things but we need some songs that would be cool with three harmonizing guitars. We are into stuff like sublime, weezer, tool, the mars volta, LATE red hot chili peppers, incubus, etc. so, what can you guys recommend?
uh.... songs you like from the bands you listed?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
uh.... songs you like from the bands you listed?

but i am sayin what would be a cool way to do a tool song with three guitars? it can't just be three dudes playing the same thing
Quote by loudog93
we are pretty good at arranging things

Apparently not if you are thinking about all three people playing the same thing at once.

Take the songs you like. Break them down into a background riff type thing for one guitar to play, a complementing background riff type thing, and a lead section.

This is a highly complex once... but you get the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg5TaS4EIVE

Allows one guitar to really carry the melody, one provides a nice background arpeggio for most of the parts, and another throws little licks overtop to complete a fuller sound.

Sounds like you may be better off with two acoustics and a bass though. If you are having to ask this, you will be better off doing a background acoustic, a lead acoustic, and a bass to fill in the gaps behind. Safer and easier... will give you a fuller sound for such a big gig.

Good luck.
thanks man. you helped out a lot. we were just thinking a tool cover would be epic but we don't know how to do the more metal parts well. also, bongos?
Quote by ZanasCross
Apparently not if you are thinking about all three people playing the same thing at once.

Exactly.

Play bass and two guitars. Three guitars is too much noise, IMO. Remember - not enough negative space can kill a song just as quickly as too much silence.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I have nothing of value to add to this thread, but what i will say is this. I'm terribly impressed your playing with paramore, and i can't understand why everyone else hasn't mentioned it. lol

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
I have nothing of value to add to this thread, but what i will say is this. I'm terribly impressed your playing with paramore, and i can't understand why everyone else hasn't mentioned it. lol

Yeah, that's a pretty big deal, Congrats on getting such a great gig. And for the playing, I'd say you should probably do two guitars and a bass, probably would sound better. But that's up to you.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Gratz on the gig and sorry to go OT but what's the deal with the acoustic session?
thanks a ton you guys. and i am sad to let you know that paramore will not be able to play the show. I live in Nashville and the show is at the club they played at all the time so thats how i scored it. But hopefully everything will go great. I will post a recording in several months haha.
Aww too bad, unlucky mate, I'm sure it'll still be a great gig. Enjoy yourself and we'll look forward to the clips/movies