Page 1 of 3
Something has really caught me off guard lately.

The Microsoft Zune.

From the time it was released, I thought it was a useless brick. It was ugly, bland, and, outside of the wireless connectivity and the built in radio, pretty unspectacular in every area. It was just another failed mp3 player trying to catch up with the iPod.

Now, though, in the player's second generation, it is, in my humble opinion, the best mp3 player on the market, and also has the best software. The change is simply mindblowing.

While the base design isn't much different, the new, sleek style is appealing, the screen is much more clear, and now the radio and wireless are actually appealing, now that the rest of the package is better. The "op-touch" (optional touch, since you can still click around), as I call it, is a great tool for searching through song, artists and pictures.

And, as I said, I believe the software is simply brilliant. It looks amazing, it's extremely easy to navigate, and, most importantly, it automatically updates the library. iTunes just looks like a dinosaur compared to it, with its tired grey exterior and its side bar directory.

Microsoft has REALLY been coming into its own lately.

Anyone else really surprised by this as much as I am? In a little over two year, the Zune has gone from a bland brick to an amazing media device. It's just crazy.

Discuss?

EDIT:

This isn't a crazy, pro-Microsoft thing. I am not saying the Zune is the ONLY good media player on the market, and I'm not trying to preach my supreme fandom, or to say you should ONLY buy Zunes.

This thread is simply about how amazing it is that the Zune has turned around to where it is now, and it's improved such a short time.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Mar 1, 2009,
I have one. It has it's problems... but it's ok. Not the pinnacle of mp3 devices that you think it is.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
I researched so much before buying my Zune, and I've become a proud Zune owner.

Ignorant Ipod fans piss me off though...
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
I've always thought Zune was a lot better than iPods. The 2nd generation just proves this.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
yeah microsoft has, early reports of Windows 7 say it's one of the best operating systems ever made, according to numerous sites and my local computer hardware stores geek
Hmm. Well the thing that really turned me off was how bulky the Zunes were. I haven't heard that they've slimmed it down until now so I will check it out. I still probably wouldn't get one just because I use a Mac mainly and it would probably have crappy integration.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 1, 2009,
I have a first gen and second gen one. Love them. Also love the software. I haven't looked back at my old iPod since.
I haven't got a chance to use a latest generation zune, I'd love to see it work well though

those pricks at apple don't need any more of my money
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by RockInPeaceDime
They're still miles behind other products on the market.

Such as... the what?.. the touch?

I don't even think I would survive with only 32 gigs >_>
Quote by Echoplex

Zunes are simply amazing, but ya zune and ipod are pretty much similar. I prefer the Zune because i hate itunes and the zune has a bigger screen and just looks cooler.
While I don't think either the Zune or the iPod is the best mp3 player, the Zune is much better.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
IPod owners always claim that Zunes aren't user-friendly... wtf?
These's are some of the most easy-to-use and reliable MP3 around imo lol
My Dad has had his 1 gen Zune for around 2 years now, and with the exception of the whole Zune Apocalypse thing, it's been fine. My brother and I both own a second gen, and have had 'em for over a year and still work great... Wouldn't trade my Zune for anything
software is still lame because you can't use it with windows media player.

and the zune is still lame because it doesn't have a custom multiband equalizer. AND it's lame because i bought the first gen and it's quite big =(

otherwise it kicks ass.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
and the zune is still lame because it doesn't have a custom multiband equalizer. AND it's lame because i bought the first gen and it's quite big =(

I don't think the iPod does either, does it?
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
I don't think the iPod does either, does it?

Nope. It only has presets.

However, I think the music should always be played in its default studio EQ setting. The engineers meant for the music to sound a specific way.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by im not mental
ipods = 80-160 gigs.

and that is why they'll be the only mp3 player for me.

Zunes have a 120 gig >_>...
Quote by Echoplex

i have a first gen 30 gig zune.
i love it since it only cost me 100 bucks.
the software lags my computer though....
Quote by im not mental
ipods = 80-160 gigs.

iPod = 120GB

Which is another reason I have more faith, atm, for Zune than iPod.

The way Apple is treating the iPod Classic, they're about to phase it out. The Classic is the last remaining high capacity player they have, with the next largest at 32GB, with the Touch.

Also, the Classic has had no REAL cosmetic change since the 5th (or 4th, depending on who you ask) generation. Apple just isn't putting anymore money into it. Either it's gone from the market within the next two years, or they replace it with something of equal price.

As far as the Zune has come, it still has tons of room for much improvement, in terms of sales.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
^edit- damn you

Quote by im not mental
ipods = 80-160 gigs.

actually the biggest ipod is now also 120 gigs
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by fallenangel20

The way Apple is treating the iPod Classic, they're about to phase it out. The Classic is the last remaining high capacity player they have, with the next largest at 32GB, with the Touch.

Why do you figure? I'm not arguing, I'm just curious.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Carswell98
^edit- damn you

actually the biggest ipod is now also 120 gigs

I've seen one for 160 somewhere, I know it.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by im not mental
ipods = 80-160 gigs.

Until Creative can crank out a Zen with that storage capacity, and there is some way for it to work with iTunes, I'm stuck with an iPod.

I miss my old brick known as the Zen Vision W
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by brandon369852
I've seen one for 160 somewhere, I know it.

they used to be available in 160, but they discontinued that model
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

If I buy a new one it will be a zune or a Archos
http://www.archos.com/?country=global&lang=en
I believe they have a 320BG on the 7in touch screen internet and so on are the selling points for me.
Quote by jetfuel495
I miss the old brick known as the Zen

I had a Zen Vision M. It was bulky... It had a really crappy sync program as well.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Carswell98
they used to be available in 160, but they discontinued that model

That's dumb. Why would they downgrade?
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by Xiaoxi
I had a Zen Vision M. It was bulky... It had a really crappy sync program as well.

Oh yeah, the sync program was utter poo. That's why I stuck with WMP. But that sucked too, since half of my album art would get mixed up. I'm very anal about album art. That's the only reason I can't stop using iTunes anymore.
Quote by brandon369852
That's dumb. Why would they downgrade?

the classics are pretty unpopular actually, not enough demand for huge memory
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by jetfuel495
Oh yeah, the sync program was utter poo. That's why I stuck with WMP. But that sucked too, since half of my album art would get mixed up. I'm very anal about album art. That's the only reason I can't stop using iTunes anymore.

Yeah, iTunes has a great organization interface. I'm very anal about all the labels...the album cover, the year, the composers, the performers, etc. All gotta there and correct.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Carswell98
the classics are pretty unpopular actually, not enough demand for huge memory

Personally, I'd take a classic over a iTouch any day. I like the classics a lot.
Follow me on Twitter
my friend has a 160gb ipod. i got a 80gb.

i love it. never looking back, even though i generally don't like apple products.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
i can turn the internet sideways with my ipod, can your zune do that?
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
Quote by Darkice
I believe they have a 320BG on the 7in touch screen internet and so on are the selling points for me.

at the $600 one of those huge bastards cost, along with the crappy battery life because of the massive screen, I see no advantage to having one of those
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

I HATE IPODS my gf has one and its so unbelievably ****ty, i hate using it. Also the touch is ok at best. The features are cool but I'm so against Mac is retarded so I can't. I want a Zune because i hear nothing but good things about it. Right now I just have a Coby 4GB mp3 player. It's been good to me and I honestly dont really need that much space. like 30 Gig is more than enough for me or 32 whatever Zune has. That's only because my library of metal is growing a lot lately lol. But yeah even my gf has been trying to get her parents to buy her a zune because she hates her ipod now. i think its 4th gen....

Quote by Darkice

those things look to big for anyone lol. you would get robbed for it! lmfao
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
Page 1 of 3