What are some exercises that i can do at school without bringing anything in that will work on my hand/finger coordination?
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
try to reach your wrist (or somewhere farther) using your index and ring finger while keeping the middle and pinky finger pointing away from your wrist, then do the reverse by trying to reach your wrist using your middle and pinky while your index and ring finger points awau from your wrist.
apparently playing out notes on guitar in your mind can help
i sorta do that sometimes
imagine yourself playing notes
^ maybe this is not such a good idea, because you'll probably imagine it not so perfectly, and end up learning wrong. may be weird to hear, but that's my opinion. that would work for growing muscles, that's been proven lol

^^ that's what i'm doing all the time, BUT... with my thumb also, and with both hands. that's because i finger pick and because i (don't) play piano.
however, i wouldn't JUST do that sequence. i like to do 1 on 1 finger, different 2 on 2 combinations, some 'pedal point' stuff... be creative about it.

and oh, the arm should rest flat with the table you're doing this on. DON'T twist your wrist like he's doing there. and it's ok to make some noise out of it, in fact, i recommend it as it further develops independence.

also, like any instrument out there, this should be done with the least tension possible in your arm / hand.
and oh, the arm should rest flat with the table you're doing this on. DON'T twist your wrist like he's doing there. and it's ok to make some noise out of it, in fact, i recommend it as it further develops independence.

Yeah, also, he's got it the wrong way around. The point is to make your fingers "bounce" lightly off the table, not to take turns whacking them into the table. It's the finger lifting muscles that need the most exercise.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
why not just wait for lunch and then play some guitar?

Because not everyone can. For instance when I was at school only those who were taking music lessons were allowed to use the instrument locker and there was nowhere else to keep something like a guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Because not everyone can. For instance when I was at school only those who were taking music lessons were allowed to use the instrument locker and there was nowhere else to keep something like a guitar.

Talk with your teachers?

I bring my guitar everyday, it never leaves my side except during PE which my coach locks it in his office.

I can play it in History, English, Math, Photo, and Science. As long as I'm finished with my work, and don't play overly loud *

*Some songs allowed. I can play 'calm' songs like Hey There Deliliah loudly. But if I were to play Suffocating Sight I'd get in trouble.

The only class I can't play guitar in:
PE (Obvious reasons...)

And I play it during "Tutorial" (Snack..) and Lunch (10 minutes, 35 minutes respectfully)

So I normally get 2 hours of practice at school alone.

Then my 45 minute walk home.

Then my 3 hours home alone.

Then my 2 hours before I go to sleep.

And I still suck

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Talk with your teachers?

1 - I said "was at school"; I am no longer and no way in hell would I ever get away with taking the thing to work anyway

2 - You sound like you have extremely forgiving teachers, not everyone is so lucky.

Either way; this isn't my problem anyway, I was just saying...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
what I do, (usually during math, or history), is just try to form the fingering of chords and practice transitions
Quote by Austin_Scharosc
What are some exercises that i can do at school without bringing anything in that will work on my hand/finger coordination?
Tap quarters with your feet and try to play as off-time as you can with your hands whilst keeping your feet steady.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by ramm_ty
Tap quarters with your feet and try to play as off-time as you can with your hands whilst keeping your feet steady.

+1, recommended by Al Di Meola himself.

Also, try finger drumming triplets, sixteenths, quintuplets, sextuplets, septuplets, etc. while keeping time with your feet.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - I said "was at school"; I am no longer and no way in hell would I ever get away with taking the thing to work anyway

2 - You sound like you have extremely forgiving teachers, not everyone is so lucky.

Either way; this isn't my problem anyway, I was just saying...

I misread "was" as "am" somehow.

I also thought you were the TS

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Quote by Ultraturtle0

Also, try finger drumming triplets, sixteenths, quintuplets, sextuplets, septuplets, etc. while keeping time with your feet.

Finger drumming is awesome, sadly it does not help me play drums at all though =(
tap your fingers on your desk or whatever hard surface you can find. Instead of tapping them all 1-2-3-4, try different combos like 2-4-1 and 4-1-3, kind of a spin-off on vai's 10 hour work out.
hue
Quote by Ultraturtle0

This annoys the **** out of people, however
How about the ones in your Math book, TS?

It might get you a job later.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

I know this isnt an exercise, but its what i used to do at school...i would bring my theory book and study music theory whenever i could. I'd also write out keys, chords, progressions, scales, etc.