I gave this Captain Beef Heart album a listen after hearing so many good things about it and how it's so influential. While some parts aren't that bad and are actually quite good, I don't really get all the hype. Could anyone explain why it's considered so influential?
It is definitely not for everybody. Beefheart's sound is unique and rather odd. The reason it is so revered in some circles is because it is totally avant-garde and it does not conform to any specific genre. The music may sound odd but it was carefully transcribed out beforehand by Van Vliet. It really is an acquired taste, I suggest you listen to it again before you make an ultimate decision.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
this album is very avant guarde and just "out there"....its not for the normal music listener....people with a more open mind can dig it. i was already listening to frank zappa for a couple years before i bought Trout Mask....so i guess i was more ready for the abstract. idk i cant explain the hype cause i never heard of any hype of this album, i always thought it was obscure and no one heard of it. but anyway i like it
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
this album is very avant guarde and just "out there"....its not for the normal music listener....people with a more open mind can dig it. i was already listening to frank zappa for a couple years before i bought Trout Mask....so i guess i was more ready for the abstract. idk i cant explain the hype cause i never heard of any hype of this album, i always thought it was obscure and no one heard of it. but anyway i like it

It was actually ranked #58 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

As said before, it's just unlike anything else recorded (actually his next album, "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" is in a similar style). I like it, but it seems like a lot of people claim to like it (but have probably never listened to it) because they think it puts them above an average music listener. These kind of people can go to hell for all I care. If you don't like it, don't worry. Only about 1% of the human population can listen to it without getting a headache.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
It was actually ranked #58 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
----------------------

that means nothing at all! and i cant stress that enough.....F*ck Rolling Stone, biggest sellouts ever
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man

that means nothing at all! and i cant stress that enough.....F*ck Rolling Stone, biggest sellouts ever

I was just bringing that up because Rolling Stone will only acknowledge an album's existence if there's a lot of hype.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
I was just bringing that up because Rolling Stone will only acknowledge an album's existence if there's a lot of hype.

yea i guess
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Ibut it seems like a lot of people claim to like it (but have probably never listened to it) because they think it puts them above an average music listener.

Agreed, it's one of those albums that people list to make them seem open minded.

That being said I do own it and need to listen to it more.

*adds to list*
i just listened to it about a week and a half ago, some one the things said are just outlandish....but ive never heard anyone saying they listen to it and they really dont, i dont even know anyone who knows about this album
'Music is the best"
Zappa
I prefer Safe as Milk, and Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller). But, maybe I haven't given it a fair shake.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
im not even going to bother with this album i know i wont like it experimental sort of music is not my style, its got a pretty cool cover picture though
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
i just listened to it about a week and a half ago, some one the things said are just outlandish....but ive never heard anyone saying they listen to it and they really dont, i dont even know anyone who knows about this album

Are there not a lot of hipsters in Baltimore?
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
shut up I know this is an old thread but...

does anyone what Jeff Cotton and Bill Harkleroad's rig set-up was? What kind of guitars/amps did they use to get that awesome semi-distorted sound?