Hey computer people, I have a quick question about Over clocking... I looked on google, but I couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for.

Can someone tell me a STABLE speed I could get over clocking this computer. And I don't know much about voltage... But my mobo and BIOS allow it.

EDIT: I have pretty decent cooling...

Home made intake on the front. and also an output on the front

same thing on the back and it has a cone type thing that exctracts the air from the CPU fan out the side of the case (it came with the case)

the computer has been running for about 3 days and I just checked the temp from the BIOS, it says its running 23 degrees C (approximatly 73 degrees F)
UG's HIPPIE
Last edited by ~G{}{}BER~ at Mar 1, 2009,
Having spent two years at a tech school, I think my opinion is somewhat valid here and that opinion is don't overclock it completely invalidates any and all warranties you have on any part(s) of you're computer so if something breaks that had a warranty on it, you're screwed.
2.4 gigs isn't too bad unless you're running some heavy stuff like crysis, or crysis warhead. As a general rule, 3-5% overclocking is ok if you have a cool environment and decent cooling, but anything 10% or over would require a serious cooling system.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by silversoulcage
Having spent two years at a tech school, I think my opinion is somewhat valid here and that opinion is don't overclock it completely invalidates any and all warranties you have on any part(s) of you're computer so if something breaks that had a warranty on it, you're screwed.

But yeah, listen to this guy. 2.4 ghz isnt a bad speed, I would upgrade your processor if you are not happy with your current speed, it's safer, and in pre-made systems like yours, its infinitely more stable.

Plus, the eventual speed increase is always marginal. Its not worth it.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
For the most part, it isn't worth over-clocking anyway... overclocking enough to actually notice a difference is just harmful to the computer. It's more or less a strange form of "bragging rights" for geeks on liek tech forums and stuff. The gain in performance is nothing to talk about.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
Quote by silversoulcage

The computer is a few years old and I know for a fact that none of it is under warrenty. I built it myself out of spare parts that people gave me and stuff (it's actually pretty decent as it is)

Quote by manmanster
2.4 gigs isn't too bad unless you're running some heavy stuff like crysis, or crysis warhead. As a general rule, 3-5% overclocking is ok if you have a cool environment and decent cooling, but anything 10% or over would require a serious cooling system.

I'm not running a lot... But I would like the option to....
UG's HIPPIE
Quote by manmanster
But yeah, listen to this guy. 2.4 ghz isnt a bad speed, I would upgrade your processor if you are not happy with your current speed, it's safer, and in pre-made systems like yours, its infinitely more stable.

Plus, the eventual speed increase is always marginal. Its not worth it.

Yea but it's not a good speed either, upgrading is always better. I'm not super against overclocking but unless you have liquid coolant that I wouldn't do it. And like you said, the amount of speed you get out of overclocking makes the risks much greater than the gain.
So you guys are saying that if I bring it from 2.4 to maybe 3.0 I won't notice any performance differences?

And bnull24, here's my entire setup:

A-open motherboard.

Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ processor

1.0 gigs of RAM

164 gb Hard drive
80 gb Hard drive

DVD burner

SD card reader

AGP 128 mb Video card

PCI 64 mb video card

firewire card

ethernet card

USB 2.0 add on

a fan on the top front (output)

a fan on the lower front (intake)

a fan on the top back (intake)

a fan on the bottom back (output)

stock CPU fan/ heat sink (with a heat extractor on the case)

And thats about it
UG's HIPPIE
Dude the old p4s can get to 3.4GHz on air

you would get a huge performance boost.
going from 2.4 to 3.0

I OCed my Q6600 to a 26% OC and got a huge boost
Last edited by Darkice at Mar 1, 2009,
2.4 single core is not good its not bad but its far from good.

for 75 bucks you can get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116027 its a P4 so it will work with your mobo and its 3.0GHz stock with that you could take it to 3.4 so which should be a pretty nice gain from what your at now.

also by another GB of ram and you will breath new life in to your comp.
Last edited by Darkice at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by Darkice
2.4 single core is not good its not bad but its far from good.

for 75 bucks you can get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116027 its a P4 so it will work with your mobo and its 3.0GHz stock with that you could take it to 3.4 so which should be a pretty nice gain from what your at now.

also by another GB of ram and you will breath new life in to your comp.

I don't want to spend money on a computer when I can get decent stuff for free.... I have a minimum wage job (and cant get anything better for about another year). And with that job I'm paying for a car, insurance, making payments on an engine, buying gas, buying food and trying to spoil the hell out of my girlfriend. And I don't get that many hours at said job. So I have hardly any money left over

I'm fine with my computer how it is.... It's decent. I'd just like to see what I can get it to do (safely)
UG's HIPPIE