Alright, so I was thinking about getting a custom Carvin. (http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshopelectricguitars.php)

Would it be worth it to pay the extra couple of hundred dollars over one of their cheaper guitars? I figure it is, since it'll probably last me quite a while.

Oh, and I'd probably be using the guitar to play some stuff like Steve Vai, which model would you recommend?
Last edited by McGrim at Mar 1, 2009,
The only reason to look towards and at custom guitars, is because you know exactly what you want from your guitar, and exactly what your comfort zone is.

That being said, pick the model closest to what you think will be most comfortable for you.

Carvin, yes even their cheaper ones, are all VERY good instruments....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I have never heard any of the Carvin owners I know complain about their instruments or amps.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have never heard any of the Carvin owners I know complain about their instruments or amps.

There's a good reason for that,all of their stuff is top of the line.I've never played a Carvin that wasn't a great guitar TBH.The QC and build quality of their instruments rivals any instrument in their price range,and flat out shames others (Gibson) IMO.It's worth it to get a custom if you want something really specific like a certain body,neck,or fingerboard wood and a certain kind of fret material and finish,but if you just want something general then their pre-built models should work just fine.If you really want to save some money they go for really cheap on the used market,often for below their base price before you start adding options to them when buying new.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

carvins has some prettty amazing guitars never heard a complaint... the carvin v220 insane...and for the customization its up to what ever u want in a guitar cause if u want ur perect gutiar ten get it how u want so u dont need to get another one of the same type