Since i am stuck with my vox ac15 and no overdrive pedals i have been having a very hard time finding good tones for anything other than blues. one thing i have discovered though is that chunky low down riffage can sound much more dynamic with only a little distortion. does anyone else here use that sound at all?
Last edited by no_thing101 at Mar 1, 2009,
My mesa's gain is about 11:30. I only play metal occasionally but i never turn up.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
My mate was playing metal-esque stuff through his B52 combo the other day (which has decent gain but not quite enough to properly do metal), which is more or less his primary amp these days. I have to say, it sounded pretty good, but that's mainly cause it's a great amp and sounds good pretty much no matter what.
i used to use a really low gain, like marshall crunch sort of sound out of my little amp.
then i got an effects unit and i use high gain now with that
but if im going straight into the amp, i use about a 2-4 on the gain
it gives it enough cut to define the notes, and leaves enough room for dynamics, and it doesnt feed back at all
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
i bet 9 on a fireball or 11.30 on a mesa is four times the gain i am talking about.

i dont think you need as much gain as people say to play metal. (but an ac15 is going a bit far) haha
Quote by no_thing101
i bet 9 on a fireball or 11.30 on a mesa is four times the gain i am talking about.

i dont think you need as much gain as people say to play metal. (but an ac15 is going a bit far) haha

I dunno, you CAN play metal on an acoustic.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
I dunno, you CAN play metal on an acoustic.

I dunno, can you SOUND metal on an acoustic?

most tech death sounds classical on an acoustic haha. my whole tone is very smooth, low gain because most people use a ton of gain to cover slopiness, and it just looses dynamics. its not exatly low gain or mid gain but on a peavey XXX the ultra channel was at about 9:00 at most, the crunch for the lead tones was near cranked though haha.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
I dunno, can you SOUND metal on an acoustic?

most tech death sounds classical on an acoustic haha. my whole tone is very smooth, low gain because most people use a ton of gain to cover slopiness, and it just looses dynamics. its not exatly low gain or mid gain but on a peavey XXX the ultra channel was at about 9:00 at most, the crunch for the lead tones was near cranked though haha.

Opeth. That is all.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by James13v
Opeth. That is all.

i was playing heir apparent with the tone i have described. gaaah needs more gain
Well I use moderate gain. Not to much but enough to be wet and saturated. I don't like it to dry. BUT I do not use OD pedals anymore. They take away from it. You lose clarity with an OD pedal and you lose low end. I've tried a lot and was in love with them for a very long time. But then I got in the studio and heard it without and with and without just was so much more clear. Anytime you add something like that you are getting more gain and more noise and less clarity.

Right now I don't turn my gain nowhere near max. I turn it up right to where it hits that saturation point. On a 6505+ I keep it on 6. On a regular 5150 I keep it on 5 or 5 1/2. Some people only use like 3 and that's their thing but that's to dry to play lead for me. It's okay without lead though.
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Tool plays with low distortion, gives it that nice original sound they have.

They seem to have a lot of post gain going on though.
A lot of bands use a lot less gain live. They simply don't need it. If you drive the amp's volume it adds gain naturally.

I have played rhythm for metal with a Dual Recto with the gain at like 10 o'clock, and it was uber!

EDIT: The volume on the boogie was at 1 o'clock
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Mar 1, 2009,
I play with my gain on 4 and with a slight boost from an OD, and plan on doing something similar to this forever. It makes your rhythm tighter and your leads sparklier.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by a7xrocks02
Well you're cool.

Yea. Pretty much.
Backing off the gain definitely improves the sound quite a bit IMO. Generally, I adjust the gain so that it's just right. Too much sounds muddy and crappy, and too little can make it sound a bit thin. However, I tend to use a bit more pre-amp gain at lower volumes, and back off a bit when the volume is turned up.

At bedroom/jamming volumes (not loud enough for a drummer, but louder than a conversation, so to say), I keep the gain on my F-50 around 1 or 2 o'clock. I'm sure if I actually pushed the power section of it, I'd need less. I think amp volume and pickup output also play a role in how much gain you should use in the preamp.

I still like more gain for solos, but rhythm sounds much tighter and more defined with moderate gain.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff