So, I've come to a point where I want to start learning things for myself. Pickup replacement and what not, and I have a Squier Strat sitting here that I haven't really played in a while.

The guitar (wood work etc.) seems to be build well enough, but it sounds horrible on anything other than a modeling amp. I'm assuming this is pickup related?

There's a horrible buzz on the low E string, and if/when I use the tremelo, it's a 90 percent chance it gets thrown out of tune.

It's a comfortable guitar, I actually prefer the neck for playability over the painted/lacquered neck of my C-1+.

So I guess the question/idea is... is it possible to replace/fix these problems and make the sound that comes from it a bit more acceptable?

Because I'd like to use it for my guinnea pig, so to speak. My first shot at replacing pickups and what not, and if successful, obviously I'll want to keep it. I've heard of people doing things to their squiers and coming out of it with a pretty decent guitar.

Thoughts?
'08 Shecter C1+ w/jb-jazz
'10 LTD Deluxe EC1000 w/Blackouts
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
Brace for Squire hate.

Yeah, if its solid then its perfectly possible to get a decent guitar with a little bit of work out of it, just be aware you probably wont get back whatever money yo put back into it if and when you decide to sell.
Quote by b2spirita
Brace for Squire hate.

Yeah, if its solid then its perfectly possible to get a decent guitar with a little bit of work out of it, just be aware you probably wont get back whatever money yo put back into it if and when you decide to sell.

Oh yeah, fully aware. I got the thing for free, and I have a little money set aside from the ol' tax return and what not. Lots of overtime from work right now as well, so it's just something I'd like to do. I'm really not expecting anything spectacular from it, overall I'd just like to use it to learn how to do things for myself, rather than pay someone else to do it all the time.
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Yeah I despise Squiers! I think they're the worst second-line guitars. So by all means- tear that squier to pieces please. And post pics too!

Hahaha, that's probably what is going to happen!
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
Remove "Squier" from the headstock and put Fender on it.
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Quote by IKnowItsWrong
Remove "Squier" from the headstock and put Fender on it.

mmm.. With a sharpie!
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty