Fingerboard wood: Maple
Neck: 3pc Maple
Hardware: Chrome
Pick-up: Ibanez ATK 3 coil Pick-up
Controls: 3 Band EQ, Volume, 3 way switch
Colour: Black

Price Bought: £360 (New)

Features:

This bass pretty much epitomizes big. It has a huge neck(42.5mm at nut(Jazz is 38mm)), and I love the feel of it. It feels so much more comfortable to me than basses with super-skinny necks. However it's definitely a love or hate thing and I'm not saying it's for everyone. The body is somewhat similar to a P bass, but with rounder horns and a bigger arse. It has a model specific 3 coil pick-up, I'll go into more detail later(same goes for the electronics). It has a very large bridge, which gives it loads of sustain, and also gives it that little extra bite. The neck is held in place by 5 screws and the lower horn gives fairly good(could be better) access to the 22 fret neck.

This bass came with stock Elixir strings, which I'm not a fan of, I've heard they never die, but to me, they were never alive. They didnt have any bite when I got them. Since then it has been strung with, Rotosound Nickels (.40 gauge), Stadium Elites, and currently, Rotosound 66s (.50 gauge). My favourite by far are the Roto 66s.

Electronics:

This bass has a 3 coil Pick-up, I've never seen one on another bass. It is positioned in the same place that a humbucker would be on a Stingray. Controlling the Pick-up is a three-way switch. I did find a website a while ago that showed you what the switch did, but I cant find it now. But I drew a diagram instead

As you can see, when the switch is in the middle, only the neck coil is activated, with the middle coil acting as a dummy coil to “buck-the-hum” if you will. When the switch is to the left, it is the same as when in the middle, except with a subtle high freq cut. I cant remember the exact cut off point, but this mode is great if you want to lay a little lower in the mix than usual, also good for Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream if you roll off the treble. With the switch to the right, the pick-up acts as a 2 coil humbucker, again using the middle coil as a dummy. The 3 band EQ has controls for Bass, Mid and Treble. Which makes it incredibly versatile, by boosting the bass a smidge and the treble a bit more than the bass(coupled with the humbucker setting) I can get a great early Red Hot Chili Peppers fingerstlyle tone. The circuit is powered by a single 9v battery.

Criticism:

This will be hard to do, because I love this bass so much. But, here are the things that I can find wrong with this bass. On the Ibanez website, it is advertised to be able to be strung through the bridge, or through the body. When I got it there were no holes in the bridge for strings, not too much of a problem for me as Id probably go through the body anyway. Looking back I wish I had gotten the bass in red, and it would have been awesome if it came with a moulded hard case. I'll probably change the tuners in time too, but for now they are stable enough.

So, yeah I hope you enjoyed my BOTM, if you have any comments or questions about the bass, just ask and I'll try and answer them!

-Scott B
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Mar 1, 2009,
That is sexy as hell! I love the black and maple combo.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Stickied

Thanks
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Loving it and the Diagram.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i threw up in ma mouth. lololololololollolololo
Nice Diagram, nice set-up for the information!
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Try stringing each string the other way round on the tuners like this

Very nice. I still want another ATK.
Yeah, that got picked up the last time I posted a pic of the headstock.

I'd love to get another one, maybe a candy apple red 5er
Quote by guitarhero_764

Yeah says the Ibanez fan girl!!!

Nice bass and nice BOTM. Don't feel bad about the string mistake. I think everyone makes that mistake at least once.

I really like the sound of the ATK and the info and diagram at the end of the BOTM was a nice touch btw.
Quote by ScottB.
This bass has a 3 coil Pick-up, I've never seen one on another bass.

Stingrays also have a 3 coil pickup, they just don't make it as obvious when looking from the outside.

Anyway, great BOTM. I finally got to try out an ATK on friday (it was the 5 string version of what you have). They really are as great as everyone says they are. It would have sounded even better if they strings hadn't been dead, though .
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Thanks Tam

@kugelspot:

I never knew that about Stingrays, does it do the same thing as the ATK's?

What was the string spacing like on the 5er? Im curious about it, to be frank I dont imagine they could make the neck that much bigger.
Quote by guitarhero_764

it looks like there are screws randomly stuck into the body...was there a pickguard before or am i mistaken?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by ScottB.
I never knew that about Stingrays, does it do the same thing as the ATK's?

What was the string spacing like on the 5er? Im curious about it, to be frank I dont imagine they could make the neck that much bigger.

Do you mean the coil tap thing? The stingrays don't do that, but sterlings do.

As for the 5er, the string spacing was a bit small. Not tiny, but pretty slim compared to the 4 strings (those have the same string spacing as a P, right?). The neck quite manageable, only a little bigger than the 4er (again, I'm assuming the dimensions are similar to a p-bass).
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Stickied

dude we don't need to know everytime you blow a load

I must say that is a shmexy bass, i'd love one in a 6 string is they made them, but maybe down the track i'll consider the 5, but alas a new bass is a while off as i'm buying a car today, though a trace elliot combo maybe appearing in my sig soon
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Damn that thing looks nice in black. Wish the 700s had that option. Instead I had to settle on blue moon (which is quite possibly the sexiest blue ).
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by capslockisnton
it looks like there are screws randomly stuck into the body...was there a pickguard before or am i mistaken?

Yeah there was a pickguard there, I leave the screws in because the paint tends to chip around the screwholes.
Quote by guitarhero_764

i got a 5 string one in the 3 tone burst back at the end of december when musiciansfriend had a sale, and the 5 string was $450, whick was $50 less then the 4 strings normaly are, so i got the 5 string. i really wish i got the 4 string though, i never use the 5th string lol, i need to look up stuff to play with it haha.. the string spacing is definatly quite a bit smaller, which is the main reason i feel i should of gotten the 4 string, since i do a lot of slap and it makes it more difficult.. but it is an amazing bass, i can get any sound from it, and the neck really feels nice, i hate the thin necked ones, the thick necks are so much more natural feeling to me now the 2 things i am gonna complain about are 1. they should of made the 5er 35' scale, but meh.. and 2. not many possibilities as far as pickup replacement lol.. but anyway, its a great bass, i love it to death
ALL HAIL DETHKLOK UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!
Quote by TooFast
I'd drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.

Add Me on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/allannoe
Probably gonna be my next bass one of these, I think they're ace, yours definitely looks pretty damn sexy

Although I was wondering, how well does it handle playing slap?
Quote by chocolateman900
Probably gonna be my next bass one of these, I think they're ace, yours definitely looks pretty damn sexy

Although I was wondering, how well does it handle playing slap?

its great with slap, there is plenty of room since there is only the bridge p-up, and the tone you can get is great
ALL HAIL DETHKLOK UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!
Quote by TooFast
I'd drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.

Add Me on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/allannoe
Im always a sucker for black and maple... particularly since maple sounds so good. Lovely bass, particularly when you realise how cheap it is.

Ive always found ATKs a bit difficult to play in terms of resting my thumb on the pickup. I suppose strategic thumbrest insertation could circumnavigate that problem, but I dont think people buy ATKs for warm neck-position bass, they're too good at the bright and punchy bridge-position sound.

Quote by kugelspot/
Do you mean the coil tap thing? The stingrays don't do that, but sterlings do.

Stingray 5s have a coil selector, and Stingray HHs of both 5+4 have a 5-way coil selector.
Last edited by the_underling at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by the_underling
Ive always found ATKs a bit difficult to play in terms of resting my thumb on the pickup. I suppose strategic thumbrest insertation could circumnavigate that problem, but I dont think people buy ATKs for warm neck-position bass, they're too good at the bright and punchy bridge-position sound.
If the lack of a warm neck pickup tone and lack of somewhere to put your thumb are your only criticisms of the ATK then look out for a 400 or a 750.
Quote by the_underling

What I do sometimes is unscrew one of the screws from the pickguard a little and rest my thumb on that
Quote by guitarhero_764

I have an ATK too, and is currently my main (and favorite) bass. It is extremely versatile and the only gripe I can find about the whole piece is that is a tad bit heavy.
YOU HAVE THE SAME BASS AS ME

i left my scratchplate on though
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
i probably wouldnt buy one myself, but its a great looking bass!
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
I think everything abbout this bass looks great except the tuners. Idk thats just something that gets me.
Quote by fishmunky
My fiance told me she had to sleep on the couch a few months back cause i got overly grabby in my sleep.
she was apparently not impressed by unconscious caveman moves
looks great, all except for that maple fretboard.

i cant stand bright-looking fretboards, i need'em dark.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
The experience Ive had with my ATK switch is this:
Middle-An all around versitle tone.The highs and lows are very even.
Left-A really classic, vintage, warm, sound with a good mid response.
right-Bright, trebely, and growlish.Good for standing out and cutting through the mix.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
The experience Ive had with my ATK switch is this:
Middle-An all around versitle tone.The highs and lows are very even.
Left-A really classic, vintage, warm, sound with a good mid response.
right-Bright, trebely, and growlish.Good for standing out and cutting through the mix.

yeah thats kinda what it does. I disagree with saying that the highs and lows are evenly balanced when to the left. It seems that on the lower strings but once you move into the higher registers its a lot more noticeable that the highs are vut.
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by turnupthebass1
yo dude i have the same locks

eh
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by fleajr_1412
Strap locks maybe?

Maybe, although without the strap they are just strap buttons
Quote by guitarhero_764

The third coil that the Sterling has is called a 'Phantom coil'.

Very nice bass, i've always wanted one but i think i'd like a Sterling or Stinger more :P
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Very nice, I love the color combo. Black and maple is one of my favorites, though I might suggest getting a Black or B/W/B pickguard...you'd keep the overall look, but without the random screws poking out to snag things on.

edit: Isn't the third coil on a sterling just a single coil stuck under the pickguard? Or did they start putting it under the other pup like on the SR?

I wants me a sterling somethin' bad...
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Mar 13, 2009,
From that bit of cunfusion up ther, an idea, you could get a strap button and screw it on to one of the pickgusrd screws, a more comfortable finger place instently.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Mutant Corn
Very nice, I love the color combo. Black and maple is one of my favorites, though I might suggest getting a Black or B/W/B pickguard...you'd keep the overall look, but without the random screws poking out to snag things on.

Yeah I really want to get a B/W/B for it, but its hard to find anywhere that makes em
Quote by guitarhero_764

that is cool.

and you should get red pearl pickguard, the sexiness is brutal.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Page 1 of 2