Hello fellow UG's, if you have time could you please read this (I really need some help please, the very last paragraphs have the detail.) I would appreciate it if you guys could help thx. Heres my problem, I wanted to play guitar really bad from watching/listening to guitar covers and such on youtube. So, I decided to get a electric guitar for Christmas. Luckly I did (Yamaha Pacifica 812V for $400) if you guys are wondering why I got that and how I got that, well I baught a fairly new/used guitar from Kijiji and it was recommended by some people here. Anyways, I'm starting to loose that interest on playing guitar and I really want to play like people on youtube and such, as in getting really good.

Right now I'm going to list some stuff I've done and I'm not here to brag so if some of you guys are going to post about it then go ahead but I really need some help please.

I probably had around maybe 30-40 hours of playing the guitar and I want to know how I'm doing from your point of view guys. (I cant have a guitar teacher because I already have 2 tutors for a school subject :S)
(exams,party,hanging out with friends, studying, and I have tutors etc.)

These are the things I've learned so far:
I've just finished learning the Lessons - Blues and Improvising basics, and I'm starting the Lessons - Rock Basics on justinguitar (People recommended this site for learning how to play guitar and I helped me a bit)

Heres the site:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

I've memorized all the chords thats been given in that beginnner course at justinguitar, and so as the The Minor Pentatonic Scale.

I've learned few songs which include: the Iron Man song (Not the solo at the end), the Canadian Anthem, Terminator (movie), Armageddon (the theme, soundtrack from the movie), Honor Him (Gladiator sound track), Finale (The Kingdom sound track), and
Ash Like Snow (This song is from a Gundam 00 intro music, and the only song I memorized because this song is so cool XD.)

Thats all I've learned so far and as I say it again, I'm not here to brag, I just want to know how I'm doing. I want to know if I'm on the right track, my learning speed, what I'm learning wrong, what I should be learning to get better etc. I really want to get good at this and I dont want to loose my interest (when I ever listen to song from Joe Satrini, guitar solos, or even song that have guitar parts in it, I get that sensation for me to get better but I keep on loosing it :S.) If you guys need me to post those tabs then just tell me.

Thanks guys and thanks for reading this
Last edited by Intercrew at Mar 1, 2009,
Stop thinking about it so much. Just go on playing because you like it. Play what you think is fun to play, and one day you will be able to play those songs
Quote by SY22
Stop thinking about it so much. Just go on playing because you like it. Play what you think is fun to play, and one day you will be able to play those songs

I agree, you need to play because you love it, not play to be better than someone else. Never stop
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
You're doing just fine. Dont get discouraged because you're not great, you're only, what, two months in? Set goals for yourself and learn how to practice efficiently and what works for you, you'll get better.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Like what others said,You should really play because you love doing so! If you compare yourself too much with the rest of the world your going to end up hating what your doing.

Anyways based on what you said, your pretty much on the right track. ^^
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
I read somewhere that it takes 10,000 hours to master the guitar.

So you have between 9,960 to 9,970 to go. Nearly there!

I'm in a similar position to you, playing a month longer but I think we're progressing at a similar-ish rate. I find that sometimes I feel that I progress fast and sometimes slow. There are some days when I'm playing a passage and I just seem to nail it (relatively!) and some days when it feels like I'm going back in time and back to the very basics again. But I just keep telling myself that proper practice is the ONLY way to get better. Fingers on strings, practicing good technique.

Posting here won't help. Watching TV won't help. And while my guitar is sitting there in it's stand, I'm not getting any better at it either.

So I pick it up and play it - like I'm about to go and do. And try to get closer to that 10,000 hours mark. I don't expect to ever master the guitar and don't expect to reach 10,000 hours. But somewhere between 30 hours and 10,000 hours there is going to be that point where I realize "Hey, I actually know what I'm doing".
Howard2k
I read somewhere that it takes 10,000 hours to master the guitar.

So you have between 9,960 to 9,970 to go. Nearly there!

Lmao, thx guys
all i saw was a wall of text.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
btw that 10,000 hour thing is true I think because my friends piano tutor said that as well.
Quote by Intercrew
btw that 10,000 hour thing is true I think because my friends piano tutor said that as well.

NO its not true

it all depends on your own natural talent and how hard you actually work at it. you can't be like "yeah, i have 9,999 hours in baby, and when i hit 10,000, im gonna be a GOD" thats ****ing stupid
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
10,000 hours is true BUT Learn songs from the white stripes,bob dylan, CCR, (easy chord change songs) AND also read the book This Is Your Brain On Music (good read)
10,000 hours is talent.....Nobody knows Bethoven's First
Last edited by a100thsportster at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by a100thsportster
10,000 hours is true BUT Learn songs from the white stripes,bob dylan, CCR, (easy chord change songs) AND also read the book This Is Your Brain On Music (good read)

FAKE its just like when the south park kids got 1000000 points in guitar hero
you just scored one million points in guitar hero
YOU ARE FAGS!
so the lesson to be learnt here is that you only ever stop learning is if you stop playing
LOL, of course its not true -.-" probably just to get really talented but there is no way you could master anything and I mean ANYTHING.
I don't think it's intended to be literal. More of a fair representation of the learning curve for "many" people on average.

So clearly no - the rollover from 9,999 hours to 10,000 hours would not be some sort of magical event. But by the same token, even the most naturally talented guitarist in the world is not going to "master" the guitar in 100 hours either.
The number 10,000 isn't a magical rollover number, that's not what anybody was implying.

It just happens to be a pretty consistent standard to have played around that amount of time by the time you reach a virtuoso's standard of playing.

It's like saying it takes the knowledge of roughly 3000 Chinese characters to be able to read a native newspaper. Do you need the know that many? No, perhaps 2500 is more realistic, but maybe 3500 is too, depending on the day.

It's an estimate for a reason.

And like Howard2k said, all the time you let it sit on the stand you're not getting any better.
One thing that can help with the motivation end of it is to find other people that play music and jam with them. It si important that they are near your level of ability for it to be a regular thing, but one of the best ways to improve is to play with people that are better than you when you can.

Another thing that can help is to think of all the girls you will be able to hook-up with when you start playing shows.
Quote by GODhimself37
all i saw was a wall of text.

Then dont post. Warning next time.
Been away, am back
Long time since last post but what should I learn :S. I have a lot of free time over the summer. Like can you guys give me some basic/beginner scales and other chords that I should start to learn. (Other things that I should learn is welcome as well)

Thanks guys. P.S. Theres too much stuff out there and I dont want to learn the wrong way so I need some experts help.
its better for you to create a new thread than bump a dead thread.
Been away, am back
your thread, you can do what you want!
But it doesnt really matter now. It was just some advice for next time

Been away, am back