I know a few people that put Electrical Tape or Duct Tape over their Pickups, what does this do?
not trying to be a smart ass, but why dont you try it yourself?
im very curious to what it does.

you've made me curious now.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Tonally it won't do anything. Perhaps if it's electrical shielding tape, it can help cut out some noise and also round off the tone more, like putting a metal cover over a pickup.

Or maybe they're just taping their pickups into the body because they've stripped the mounting screws.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you divebomb a lot with a floyd rose, the strings go slack (when the bar is pressed down really far) and they can get stuck in the pickups. so if you put tape on the edges it doesnt get stuck
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
If you divebomb a lot with a floyd rose, the strings go slack (when the bar is pressed down really far) and they can get stuck in the pickups. so if you put tape on the edges it doesnt get stuck

This.
I asked them what they did, and one told me it can act like a Noisegate of sorts.
Also for those of us who use a bow on our guitars, tape prevents rosin from getting into the pickup windings.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
it doesn't act as a noisegate, he's just ignorant and heard that some players tape the edges, so he made it up. the reason to put electrical tape on the edges is to prevent slack strings from a divebomb getting caught under the bobbin's edge.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
yes
Steve Vai uses a small piece of tape labeled KONX on his neck pickup
so that his whammy wankage doesnt cause him problems
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join