I've heard of people changing the parts out on a Squire with the parts of an actual Strat. I'm skeptical because I always thought the neck on a Fender was was wider than the neck on a Squire. And obviously the Fender Strats are made of much better wood.

Any thoughts on this?
depends on what you want to do with it, they are perfect for making frankenstrats
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
Quote by AC/DC4EVA
depends on what you want to do with it, they are perfect for making frankenstrats

Well I don't really plan on doing anything anytime soon, I was just curious as to what you could do with them.
Quote by tknick90
Well I don't really plan on doing anything anytime soon, I was just curious as to what you could do with them.

people try to sell that **** to noobs and charge the fender price
Pickups. A big, big difference they make.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
To me, Fender necks feel much better than Squier necks, though Indonesian Squiers tend to feel better than Chinese Fenders.

However, the MIJ Squier Wayne's World strat is one of the best feeling guitars I've ever held. I tend to enjoy Japanese products more than any other (including USA).
Quote by ComradSputnik
people try to sell that **** to noobs and charge the fender price

i think ill try that =P
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
you could totally change the guitar, and it could be an insane metal project if your into metal.
you could swap the pups with actives (EMGs or Seymour Duncans), swap the neck out with a nice fast one (make sure you know the radius of yours before you buy another one if you ever thought of doing this), and maybe even put in a super vee and some grovers.
the possibilities are really endless
squires are actual strats...

im going to assume you mean they replace the parts with those from either MIM or MIA fenders. why they do this would be because they can get a good guitar for cheaper. you can get a squire with a good neck and an alder body. in which case if you swap out the hardware and electronics you can end up with a very nice guitar. if you try that same thing with a squire with a bad neck and a plywood body you wont get a guitar worth the price of the parts you bought. it really just depends on the squire you started with, and how good the neck was to start.
It depends on the Squier... Classic Vibe strats really only need a steel trem block upgrade.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
+1. Make sure if you buy a Squier to mod, it has an Alder body, and good maple neck. Everything else is negotiable. Some GFS parts, and you're good to go.
Francis Dunnery recorded the Once Around the World album on a Squier, even though he owned half a dozen American Fender ones. Mind you, it had the frets milled down to about half a millimeter.
I hate him.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

if you swap a squier neck for a MiM or MiA strat neck, you can sell that for the fender prices and noobs dont know the difference.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

That's fraud, boy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
thats what people do.

my cousin bought a 'MiA' strat from ebay.

when he goes to change the pickups a half-year later, he finds squier hardware.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ