okay, so riffs like AC/DC's you shook me all night long, Led Zeppelin's Rock N Roll, Black Dog can be considered in some way also end/start on its rootie (so i think that you now know what i mean) and ive made terrible riffs, also pretty good ones, the pretty good ones are the ones that end/start on its rootie, but what makes a rootie good? Ive tried to see if there is some progression theory involved but it definetly isnt, note lenghts may affect in some way and also the legattos, bends, slides, etc.
but maybe there is something else, so please help me.
Do you mean root note?

Ending on the root note (or chord built from the root note) gives a sense of finality.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by actaderock
okay, so riffs like AC/DC's you shook me all night long, Led Zeppelin's Rock N Roll, Black Dog can be considered in some way also end/start on its rootie (so i think that you now know what i mean) and ive made terrible riffs, also pretty good ones, the pretty good ones are the ones that end/start on its rootie, but what makes a rootie good? Ive tried to see if there is some progression theory involved but it definetly isnt, note lenghts may affect in some way and also the legattos, bends, slides, etc.
but maybe there is something else, so please help me.

There's a lot of theory involved - all the notes of a scale (and indeed the notes outside of a scale) perform some kind of "function", some are more consonant than others. If you want things to hold together and have some kind of structure then you'd tend to look to resolve phrases on either the root of the scale you're using or a chord tone you're currently playing over.

Your choice of scale is usually indicated by the chords you're playing over and the key the song is in, from there you'd normally make a note of where all the root notes of that scale are and work out the others using the roots as your point of reference. Doing that tends to follow familiar patterns so you can use those to help you navigate around the fretboard whilst keeping track of where you can resolve to.

And no, I have never heard the term "rootie" before in my life
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think it's cute.

Melodies/riffs sound better when they resolve on the root by a step. It doesnt look like you know much theory so it's very hard to explain. I just want you to know that the root note isn't always the same note as the starting note in a riff.