Are there any good ways to get a good bass sound out of a guitar?

I'm not buying a bass guitar because my budget just doesn't have room for that; and if I ever do I'll get an acoustic guitar before that. (All I have now is an electric Ibanez Gio; just an example of my wallet, lol)

I've heard of octave pedals, but they don't seem as convincing enough and they all seem to have overdrive . I haven't looked too far into it though, so if anyone knows of any good octave pedals, please tell me. (If said pedal can also go up a few octaves, or even lower another octave, that'd be great!)

I've actually tried tuning the first four strings down an octave, which works for the most part, but as you could guess there are problems, such as the strings so loose that when fingerpicking you can hear (via recording) the string hitting the fretboard which causes noise, and the fourth string is thin so it's just... yeah. >_>

The main reason I'm doing this is sorta because I can't ever find any band members, so for now I'm just planning to see if I can do this solo. :P Help would be appreciated!
dude just buy a 100 dollar bass. the pickups on a guitar are not designed to "hear" the low bass frequencies.
Just buy an octave pedal.

What are you recording with? My Acid Pro recording software has MIDI editing and you can insert bass notes and stretch them to the desired length. Check to see if your recording software has some kind of synthetic bass.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by loudog93
dude just buy a 100 dollar bass. the pickups on a guitar are not designed to "hear" the low bass frequencies.

im pretty sure they are just magnets and will pick up the sound either way. actually, it works fine because ive done it before. i use heavy strings though so it works a little better.

but i agree, just jave up and buy a cheap bass and amp pack. probably just a squier bass pack will be fine.
Quote by loudog93

Agree. And the timbre, response, etc, on the strings is totally different on loose thin strings vs tight thick strings.

You also need to get a cheap bass amp, because playing a bass through your guitar amp will do bad things to it.

I understand about the limited budges, but to me it's kinds of like - do you spend 1x on something that's a big compromise (pedal), or wait and save up to spend 2x on somethings that will give you what you really want.
Quote by philipp122
Just buy an octave pedal.

What are you recording with? My Acid Pro recording software has MIDI editing and you can insert bass notes and stretch them to the desired length. Check to see if your recording software has some kind of synthetic bass.

I have a Zen V MP3 Player, with a line-in recording feature that I've used so far. I'm aiming in the future to get a better quality recorder, preferably a line-in one.

My amp recorded what I played (Nothing to special, just the bass layer in a Muse song), and aside from ringing (The thin string being barely touched) and the string hitting the bottom of the fretboard, it sounded like it could be legit. Sorta.

I don't want to buy a bass guitar because I won't be using it really that much, just for the bass lines in a song. For instance, if I were to play in a band, I wouldn't go for bass guitar. But I might just get one, having interest and being convinced here... how cheap can a bass guitar get with decent/average quality? :P

EDIT: With an accompanying bass amp.
Last edited by Shoj_ at Mar 1, 2009,
For a pedal - you could try the Electro Harmonix Micro Pog.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Pedal is THE only way.

Downtuning an octave with the string tension of a guitar will result in flabby strings, which will make everything sound wobbly.

Also guitar pickups are designed to augment/pickup the mid frequencies of the soudn that is picked up, so this would mess it up as well.

Satch uses an octave pedal or something like that which doesn't make it bass, but results in a harmonic overtone to be created next to the original sound an octave lower/higher.

Other then that, you can record ur guitar and use a Daw's time stretch/pitch control to downtune it, and then EQ the hell out of the mids/treble range.

Be sure to record with the normal guitar sound, cause if you record with a bass like sound on ur EQ, chances are the pickup won't pick up enough signal to work with.

It's always best to cut frequencies then boosting it, cause if you boost EQ on a amp the whole sound will change due to the speaker reacting differently.

Mid control on a tube amp is usually for the punch, where if you add mids on a digital EQ (on the recorded sound), it will just change the colour without the true amp's punch.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by sock_demon
Get thicker strings.

+1
Bear in mind that these strings will need to be extremely thick though... Maybe buy some bass strings and put em on your guitar?
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by LeperAffinity
+1
Bear in mind that these strings will need to be extremely thick though... Maybe buy some bass strings and put em on your guitar?

Guitars aren't designed to hold bass strings....nor are they designed to be tuned down a whole octave.

Plus....how's he going to play guitar then?

He either uses a pedal, software or buys a bass. Tuning down a whole octave really isn't a viable option.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Tune your guitar to open A, Jack White did on Seven Nation Army to get that bass sound. He also use's a Digitech Whammy set 2 octaves down from time to time I believe.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by Guitartist

Guitars aren't designed to hold bass strings....nor are they designed to be tuned down a whole octave.

Plus....how's he going to play guitar then?

He either uses a pedal, software or buys a bass. Tuning down a whole octave really isn't a viable option.

It doesn't matter if his guitar is designed to hold bass strings or not. As long as they fit in the nut and bridge he'll be okay.
If the problem you're thinking of is to do with pressure exerted on the neck, I imagine that the reduced tension from tuning an octave down and the increased pressure of thicker strings will balance out.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Tune your guitar back up immediately after you read this. You're killing your neck, it needs string tension to counter its own flex.

If you want a guitar to go an octave lower, then you need to buy a baritone, an 8 string, or go for a whammy pedal and leave it dropped an octave. the only other thing I can think of is using features in whatever program you record into. I know Audacity has pitch and speed manipulation, and if you record a dry guitar track into it and then half the pitch it should theoretically get your track an octave lower. I haven't tried it myself (I have my own basses, dammit!) but it's worth a try for you.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
Tune your guitar to open A, Jack White did on Seven Nation Army to get that bass sound. He also use's a Digitech Whammy set 2 octaves down from time to time I believe.

Open A is tuned higher than standard.

It's the Whammy pedal that gives him the bass tone, not the tuning.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Okay, tuned the guitar back up now, ha.

Maybe I'll just end up buying a bass, even though that'll take maybe even years... but my patience is invincible nowadays anyways. >_< I want a really convincing bass sound, and it seems like that's the only option.

Thanks for the help.
Quote by troyponce
Tune your guitar back up immediately after you read this. You're killing your neck, it needs string tension to counter its own flex.

If you want a guitar to go an octave lower, then you need to buy a baritone, an 8 string, or go for a whammy pedal and leave it dropped an octave. the only other thing I can think of is using features in whatever program you record into. I know Audacity has pitch and speed manipulation, and if you record a dry guitar track into it and then half the pitch it should theoretically get your track an octave lower. I haven't tried it myself (I have my own basses, dammit!) but it's worth a try for you.

lol the neck will be fine. ive left guitars withno strings on them before and they were fine. i had a guitar taken apart for almost a year. fixed it up last month and its fine.
It doesn't matter if his guitar is designed to hold bass strings or not. As long as they fit in the nut and bridge he'll be okay.

They won't fit, dippy
Quote by Shoj_
Okay, tuned the guitar back up now, ha.

Maybe I'll just end up buying a bass, even though that'll take maybe even years... but my patience is invincible nowadays anyways. >_< I want a really convincing bass sound, and it seems like that's the only option.

Thanks for the help.

Make a GP file and ask if anyone in the Bass Forum would be interested in recording it? If you provide a guitarpro or powertab, I could give it a shot if you're interested?
i get a pretty good bassy sound out of my electric, but its the combination of the pickups and super thick strings.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

Really? I've never messed with any other tuning other then standard and open G so sorry my bad.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by Retro Rocker
Just noticed where this is, what has this got to do with advanced guitar playing?

I'm sure I reported this a few days ago.
Call me Batman.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

True story. Recently (not that recently) he's made the switch to the POG by electro-harmonix. I would recommend the pog generally. I have the whammy, and the expression pedal allows for so unique dynamics that the standard pog doesn't, but the tracking isn't quite as good in my opinion. Plus the pog allows for more than 2 simultaneous octaves, which is more useful than you might suspect when playing without other guitars or bass
Does your budget make room for a whammy pedal?
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-DJ12-Chili-Dog-Octave-Pedal?sku=151871&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26018620

Get one of these. Thirty bucks.

Doesn't exactly sound like a bass, but it's cool anyway, and who's really gonna tell the difference? THIRTY BUCKS.

+Anybody saying to stick bass strings on a guitar is retarded. Even if it doesn't snap your neck, it's still gonna sound like ****.
The only way that I know of to get a bass sound on guitar is effects, tuning down will just sound like ****.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.