Yesterday I got a Marshall DSL100 and 1960A Cab There are a few things I need to make sure I'm doing right though and are ok.

When turning on the amp, do I turn on Standby first, then about 3 minutes later, Power on?

When turning off, do I turn Standby off first, then about 3 minutes later, power off?

When the amp is on, above the vents there is a smell. It's not a smell of burning, it's kind of hard to explain what it's like but it does smell! Like a heater is what I'm thinking of. Is that normal? Is it just the head that smells?

Sometimes when I turn it on it makes static noises or a noise like the wind is blowing through it. Could that be my guitar having an earth problem or the lead? Or is that normal?
1. The other way round

2. Normal

3. Normal, at least I think so, if I get you right, my Head does the same sometimes.

Edit: Dammit, I guess I misread your post
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Last edited by OrangeWalls at Mar 1, 2009,
No

Turn the power on, wait a minute and then turn the standby on.

To turn it off just turn them both off, there's no need to wait for anything.

As long as the smell isn't burning you should be fine.

Does it always make the static noise?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well...

First, and most importantly...

Make sure your cab is plugged in and the impedances match.

So then to turn it on, switch the power switch to on with the standby switch on standby. Wait about 30 seconds and flip the standby switch to "on."

To turn off, just turn the power off and leave the standby switch "on" (ie. not on "standby") as this promotes draining of the filter caps. Just make sure to put it back on "standby" next time before you turn it on.
When you turn off a tube amp, is it best to either plug the amp into a power bar that you turn off, or just unplugging it from the wall, then turn standby on and turn the amp on also, the remaining power will flow from the amp to fade into the cab, else there will always remain electricity in the circuitry. Doing so will provide a much longer tube life span.

You can turn standby off and straight away turning power off, it doesn't change anything you are simply cutting the power right away, but try the above tips, works extremely well and doesn't take that much time.

The noise you hear is standard up to a certain level, remember that what you've bought is a kinda gainy amp, there's always some hum.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Gäbe
When you turn off a tube amp, is it best to either plug the amp into a power bar that you turn off, or just unplugging it from the wall, then turn standby on and turn the amp on also, the remaining power will flow from the amp to fade into the cab, else there will always remain electricity in the circuitry. Doing so will provide a much longer tube life span.

You can turn standby off and straight away turning power off, it doesn't change anything you are simply cutting the power right away, but try the above tips, works extremely well and doesn't take that much time.

The noise you hear is standard up to a certain level, remember that what you've bought is a kinda gainy amp, there's always some hum.

Unplugging is no different from turning off the power. The electricity you're talking about is the charge stored on the filter capacitors. Leaving the standby switch open will allow filter caps to drain out through tubes.
Yes you do turn it on standby first although 3 mins is longer than neccessary if its already at room temperature, 1/2 a minute to a minute should be fine unless its really cold.

Yes, do turn it on stanby first when turning it off but you don't really have to wait to turn the power off.

That smell is normal, its just the tubes, as long as it doesn't smell of burning you should be fine.

Not sure about the sound, try shaking the lead about when its all plugged in and on, if you hear like a rattling sound then it could be a bad lead.
Quote by lewis_grey
Yes you do turn it on standby first although 3 mins is longer than neccessary if its already at room temperature, 1/2 a minute to a minute should be fine unless its really cold.

Yes, do turn it on stanby first when turning it off but you don't really have to wait to turn the power off.

That smell is normal, its just the tubes, as long as it doesn't smell of burning you should be fine.

Not sure about the sound, try shaking the lead about when its all plugged in and on, if you hear like a rattling sound then it could be a bad lead.

No you do not need to put the amp back on standby when turning it off. I have no idea why people think that you do.
The smell's normal Cuz I have a DSL 50 which is my first tube and when I first turned it on the first time and smelled it I started freaking out but yeah it normal...
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals