I did this conversion for a good friend a while back. Thought you may like to see the process. The guitar is a standard Mexican P bass made by Fender. A real solid instrument and a good player. We decided to add some versatility by installing a Carvin bass humbucker in the bridge position.

Here's a "before" picture:

Last edited by deluthe at Mar 1, 2009,
weird finish.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Well that's a whole different story... that was done with a hammer! Hitting it repeatedly caused the poly finish to crack and resulted in a fish scale type pattern. I have to say the look is very...unique.

Disassembly: The strings were removed and the humbucker was centered and traced onto the face of the guitar to give us a routing pattern.

The bridge and electronics were removed to give me room to work with the router.

I covered the front surface of the guitar with duct tape to protect the finish and started the routing process.

Don't you think its ironic that you covered the body in duct tape to "protect the finish" after you already beat the **** out of it with a hammer?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
^yes.

that rout came out really clean, tell me that wasnt freehand? if it was, thats pretty damn amazing.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by chuckflan333
Don't you think its ironic that you covered the body in duct tape to "protect the finish" after you already beat the **** out of it with a hammer?

Hahaha, that's good.

That routing job is great.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
The channel was then drilled from the new pickup rout to the control rout for wiring purposes.
Last edited by deluthe at Mar 2, 2009,
^no, really? why would you do that?

anyway...whats the new wiring scheme gonna be...will there be a switch, etc?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Ha! I have to point out that I was not in control of the hammer at the time of the beating. But I can take credit for the routing and yes it was freehand. I'm kind of a detail freak.

It gets the owner's stamp of approval.

wow. i dont think ive ever seen anyone who can freehand route that well. awesome.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
This is an awesome idea. I just wish you didn't kick your basses ass with a hammer
It wasn't me, man. I swear. And while I would never do that to one of my own guitars... It looks extremely good in person and gives the bass a ton of character.
OK. The next shot shows the Carvin pickup in it's new home and the bridge reinstalled. The original wiring harness is going back in with some modifications...

The new controls are - master volume/master tone and 3-way selector switch. Still very simple but with three distinct voicings. As you can see the switch fit nicely between the tone pot and jack.

The finished bass is, in my opinion, much more versatile with a more body heavy feel that counter-balances the long bass neck. When I decide to buy a bass guitar to add to the sonic toolbox I have no doubt it will be a P Bass with this mod.

Last edited by deluthe at Mar 1, 2009,
Looks like a nice clean job. Got any recordings of it?
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
that is pretty cool man, good job
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. The only problem is now I want a bass guitar! I swapped the stock front pickup for a duncan a while back and that was a good improvement but the addition of the humbucker has changed the guitar completely.
Thanks Mitchell. The nice thing is I get to see it all the time and play it any time I want. I really don't spend much time on the bass(I'm more of a six-string guy)but it's nice to have this one around when I need it. Funny how just that small mod has made such a big change in the instrument.