Page 1 of 3
Is a moron. We learned on Friday about various systems of government. He put anarchism up there. I said "Anarchism isn't a system of government." He of course says, "Yes it is." I reply, "That's like saying atheism is a religion." He says, "Atheism is a religion."

"NO! Anarchism is lack of government like atheism is lack of religion!"

The entire class then sided with my teacher. Brown-nosers. Anyways, am I right in saying that those are lack of government and religion, respectively, or is he right?
Quote by NotSoAirJordan
Is a moron. We learned on Friday about various systems of government. He put anarchism up there. I said "Anarchism isn't a system of government." He of course says, "Yes it is." I reply, "That's like saying atheism is a religion." He says, "Atheism is a religion."

"NO! Anarchism is lack of government like atheism is lack of religion!"

The entire class then sided with my teacher. Brown-nosers. Anyways, am I right in saying that those are lack of government and religion, respectively, or is he right?

Wow... just wow. They really do let anyone teach these days. Well, back in my days too.

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
ITT: angsty teen who thinks he is cool because he knows all about teh anarchys

EDIT: now ITT: this (but replaced god is real with athiesm is a religion)

NOPE
Last edited by Nakon14 at Mar 1, 2009,
Religion does not mean believing in a God. It is more based on beliefs, and what you believe.
Atheism is not disbelieving a god, rather it is BELIEVING there is no god.

Anarchy is a form of government. It's all the power in the peoples' hands, none in the hands of government officials.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Quote by Nakon14
ITT: angsty teen who thinks he is cool because he knows all about teh anarchys

Ha, not really. I just love History.
i would have to side with the TS. atheism is not a religion. religion is made up of certain teachings and traditions that followers should abide by. you COULD argue that atheisms 'teachings' is to act without thinking there is an afterlife consequence, but that'd just be stupid as hell...

imagine a group of you and ur friend are the first ppl on earth. none of you know what religion is, until 3 of your friends decide to believe in a religion like christianity. but those chrtistians need a way to identify nonchristians so they just call the rest of you atheists. even though atheism is not a religion.

and in turn the exact same logic applies to anarchy. it is not a form of government. it is the lack thereof.

p.s. a good example is saying that darkness is a form of light. when darkness is really the complete lack of light

you have my full support TS!!!
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Last edited by Wesseem at Mar 1, 2009,
He's right.
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
Quote by Pernell
atheism is the lack of belief in a god. Some could argue it is a religion

Calling atheism a religion is like calling not collecting stamps a hobby.
Quote by Kensai

Hey bro, I have a hobby of not collecting stamps.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Quote by Kensai

woah perfect example. i wish i used that one instead of my poorly written explanation
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by Merriam Webster
Anarchy:
1 a: absence of government b: a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority c: a utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government

Religion:
The service and worship of God or the supernatural

That sums it up.

(I agree with TS)
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by Kensai

Well not collecting stamps would definitely be more fun
Quote by Kensai

Sigworthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, May I kensai?
Anarchism isn't a lack of order, just a lack of central authority figures. Nobody is running how things go, but as a community people get together and decide things. There are different forms of anarchism and I'm probably not coming across right, but yeah.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
So I checked up on the dictionary.

Religion is defined as a set of beliefs.

Atheism is defined in two ways:
1) The belief there is no God
2) Disbelief in any supreme being

So that goes either way.

Anarchism is the doctrine urging the abolition of government.

Abolition (for the ignorant and the people who disagree with me) is qualified as the act of making void.

The odds are in my favor, according to Webster.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Anarchism isn't a lack of order, just a lack of central authority figures. Nobody is running how things go, but as a community people get together and decide things. There are different forms of anarchism and I'm probably not coming across right, but yeah.

what you're describing is a TRUE democracy, not anarchy.
Quote by Pernell
Well not collecting stamps would definitely be more fun

Pfft, the philatelists get all the gurls

Quote by Sublimical
Sigworthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, May I kensai?

I didn't think of that one, but go ahead
This whole problem would be solved if people would stop labeling themselves and others as atheists and instead said that they didn't follow any religion. Then you simply eliminate the label altogether.
Atheism isn't a religion, but it is a religious position since it takes a certain amount of faith to clearly state 'there is no god' as opposed to 'I don't believe there is a god.' The latter, which is far more common, is agnosticism.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by Sublimical
what you're describing is a TRUE democracy, not anarchy.

Eh, I'm not going to pretend I know a ton about systems of governments, but most anarchists aren't stupid "CHAOS!" people that are generally thought of as anarchists. They're usually part of groups and organizations and are working to better their community.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
This whole problem would be solved if people would stop labeling themselves and others as atheists and instead said that they didn't follow any religion. Then you simply eliminate the label altogether.

But there are people who don't follow religion and then the people who are completely against religion, which are two different things.

Like people's view on a topic, let's say tax increase of the upper class (just a crazy example, not relative to current events whatsoever) and you're in the lower class. You wouldn't consider yourself a supporter or opposer of this because it neither benefits nor detriments you. But there are the people who are against it. There's a difference.

EDIT: NeoPowell makes a good point about agnosticism. That's what I was shooting for.
Last edited by NotSoAirJordan at Mar 1, 2009,
Is atheism a religion?

From the dictionary,

Religion
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Atheism
disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings

Doesn't sound like one to me.

In the same way, you can be a theist without believing in any religion.
Quote by exiledsoul
Religion does not mean believing in a God. It is more based on beliefs, and what you believe.

Anarchy is a form of government. It's all the power in the peoples' hands, none in the hands of government officials.

This person knows what they're talking about.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
This person knows what they're talking about.

But is a government with no power still a government? Or are they now just a bunch of people sitting around in a room.
Also, on anarchy being a form of government, the dictionary disagrees again.

Anarchy
a state of society without government or law.
Atheism is not a religion, but anarchism is most certainly a form of government (this is more obvious with some forms of anarchism than others).

This is false. Atheism does not assert that there is no God.

Also, on anarchy being a form of government, the dictionary disagrees again.

One generally doesn't consult a dictionary for knowledge about complex and variable political ideologies.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 1, 2009,
Who cares if atheism is a religion or not, you either believe in god or not. Simples.
I agree with TS. Anarchism is a political philosophy, which is centred on a lack of government, and atheism is most definitely not a religion.
I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
Quote by Sublimical
But is a government with no power still a government? Or are they now just a bunch of people sitting around in a room.

The government still has all the power. Except it's no longer in the hands of officials. It's now in the hands of the people. Yes that would essentially be a true democracy, but a true democracy would not work because there would be no one to set and maintain laws. Therefore anarchy.

It's like the kings and queens. They were removed from power, they were no longer "sitting around in a room," they were completely removed.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar

Quote by gsr2k6
Quote by Archeo Avis
Atheism is not a religion, but anarchism is most certainly a form of government (this is more obvious with some forms of anarchism than others).

Interesting argument, care to elaborate?
Quote by Sublimical
Interesting argument, care to elaborate?

It wasn't an argument, it was a statement. What do you want me to elaborate on, specifically?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by exiledsoul

It's like the kings and queens. They were removed from power, they were no longer "sitting around in a room," they were completely removed.

But the Queeen of England still sits in a room, and she has effectively no power (I'm not sure on what powers she still has apart from naming ships and stuff...). She's still there.
I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.

One generally doesn't consult a dictionary for knowledge about complex and variable political ideologies.

It is relevant if you're dealing with what the word literally means.
Quote by exiledsoul
The government still has all the power. Except it's no longer in the hands of officials. It's now in the hands of the people. Yes that would essentially be a true democracy, but a true democracy would not work because there would be no one to set and maintain laws. Therefore anarchy.

What you are describing is a Overthrowing of the government like the french renaissance.

In anarchy there is a lack of government or laws (society as a whole don't acknowledge existing powers) the minute a group says "HEY YOU CAN'T DO THAT" and starts enforcing said rule, anarchy ceases to exist.
Page 1 of 3