okay, for a long time I've seen countless people shredding on youtube and such
and a lot of them, I noticed that while their left hands (the fretting hand) were going crazy over the neck, their right hands were picking that fast

and it sure sounded like they were picking fast

I had thought that their picking was so fast that I wasnt catching the movements or something

are those guys just doing a lot of pull offs (as I began to suspect), or are they really picking that fast?

also, I began systemically practicing pull offs a month ago, and using my pinky still feels kinda un natural... will I gain speed and "natural-ness" if I practice long enough??
1) Most DO pick all, though legato is not uncommon.
2) Yes, you surely will.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by LordPino
1) Most DO pick all, though legato is not uncommon.

wow... I've been practicing picking chromatics for two years now and I still don't think I improved a bit....
still having a ton of trouble synchronizng my left hand and right hand; it must take some serious practice time to have that kind of speed AND clarity, huh?
Quote by thelax
wow... I've been practicing picking chromatics for two years now and I still don't think I improved a bit....
still having a ton of trouble synchronizng my left hand and right hand; it must take some serious practice time to have that kind of speed AND clarity, huh?

Well, I've been playing for less than 2 years and I'd say I'm an okay shredder. It's quite easy, really. It's nothing very special.
Tone is a HUGE deal in shredding ( some use it to disguise their mistakes though).

Just practise scales a lot! ( I'd go for Harmonic Minor, regular Major, Diminished. For modes, Phrygian(can't spell it, can play it) works for me.)
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Quote by LordPino
Well, I've been playing for less than 2 years and I'd say I'm an okay shredder. It's quite easy, really. It's nothing very special.
Tone is a HUGE deal in shredding ( some use it to disguise their mistakes though).

Just practise scales a lot! ( I'd go for Harmonic Minor, regular Major, Diminished. For modes, Phrygian(can't spell it, can play it) works for me.)

hmm... it seems that no matter how long I practice scales and stuff
I just can't get my right hand and left hand to work precisely together
Slow down
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
most of the time its legato picking it might sound like there hitting all the notes but really there trying to strum every not but it comes out to be there hammerin-on more then theree strumming ..really hard to actuall hit all the notes that fast for such a long time ur hands will get tired quicker
smacking bone kydd
Quote by shredderkidd
most of the time its legato picking it might sound like there hitting all the notes but really there trying to strum every not but it comes out to be there hammerin-on more then theree strumming ..really hard to actuall hit all the notes that fast for such a long time ur hands will get tired quicker

that my friend, is called stamina or endurance. and there's only one way to get that.. practice!
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Lots of shredders usually lean to one or the other, mostly pure picking but the best bang for your buck licks are a combination of picking and legato.

Okay... I just watched some Paul Gilbert video on YouPoop then I see this. My mind has been blown.

Anyway, it really depends on the sound you want. The aggressive picking or the clean fluid style of legato.

And yeah, you get speed and accuracy and all that **** the more you play. So keep on playing~
Quote by thelax

All practicing chromatics really does is make you good at playing chromatics, there is some benefit in terms of finger agility and dexterity...but ONLY IF YOU DO THEM RIGHT. Likewise playing scales isn't all that much use, it just makes you good at playing scales - do you want to listen to somebody mindlessly burn through chromatics and scales? No, didn't think so.

If you spend 2 years religiously playing chromatics, or anything else for that matter, at the speed at which you can accurately play them then you will gradually get better at whatever it is you're practising. If you spend 2 years chasing the metronome constantly trying to "hit" a certain bpm without first mastering something at the slower speed then you pretty much wasted 2 years. You only improve by focussing on the things that you actually have control over, stuff like accuracy, synchronisation, control, fretboard knowledge etc. All those things are easy to control, if you're inaccurate then you slow down until you can play accurately, if you're out of control with either hand then you slow down until you get to the point where both hands do exactly what you want, if you're out of synch then you slow down until you can get both hands working together.

You see the theme there? Speed , now that's another matter entirely. Speed doesn't exist, at least not as a practisable skill. If you're not as fast as you want to be then "speed" isn't actually the problem - the problem is you're not good enough at all those things that ultimately govern how fast you'll be able to play. If you can't play in sync it's because you've never actually tried to, you've just been expecting it so suddenly "happen" and it doesn't work that way. If you just sit there trying to play fast you never really get any better because you're not actually doing anything about the real problem. Focus on your basic skills and look to constantly improve them, that's what every good shredder did and continues to do.

And yes, it takes years.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 2, 2009,