So the last bass I asked for an opinion on and was planning to buy kept running out of stock and it was really annoying to get my hands on. So, people of the bass forum, how does this one look?

Click Here

I mostly play metal, but I probably need something that sounds decent for all kinds of rock and hard rock.

Thanks

Edit: Yeah i already have almost $300, i might have more after i sell my SG hopefully for about $280, and then my current bass for about $70 or $80.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Last edited by PhillyHendrix at Mar 1, 2009,
kinda ugly
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
save up and get yourself a fender I reckon!!
theyve gone more expensive nowadays but well worth the cost!
I OWN that exact Bass. It will do for metal, but it really shines in more of a blues/rock situation.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Yeah, I can imagine that bass'll work fine for what you want it for. Of course it isn't as good as the higher end stuff, though. The Jazz-style pickups make that bass very versatile, which means that metal isn't the only genre you'll sound good in.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by olithebass
save up and get yourself a fender I reckon!!
theyve gone more expensive nowadays but well worth the cost!

and the lack of 24 frets on every P bass

but go for the GSR, it's great for the money
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by froggyman

Ha, thats the exact bass i mentioned that kept running out of stock!

EDiT: But it was on a musician's friend and it was more expensive.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

Last edited by PhillyHendrix at Mar 1, 2009,
This isn't your first bass, so I'd perhaps save your money, at least to $500, or try out some used basses.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
This isn't your first bass, so I'd perhaps save your money, at least to $500, or try out some used basses.

agreed... If you're only spending $300 you're pretty much buying a boat ore with stings on it. Do your ears a favour and save up more money and buy something worth while.
fender MIA jazz...i own one.....it does everything...a bit heavy..but imo....thats were the sound come from the weight of the wood
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by Bullet-Rule

your local craigslist may have some good stuff. Have you considered a better amp? I know you may want a better/cooler bass, but an amp would be better for your tone in the long run. But if you don't, then I would save up.

Yeah, I've pretty much repeated everything said, but for good reason!
Quote by Canadian_basser
your local craigslist may have some good stuff. Have you considered a better amp? I know you may want a better/cooler bass, but an amp would be better for your tone in the long run. But if you don't, then I would save up.

Yeah, I've pretty much repeated everything said, but for good reason!

Well i have wanted a five string for quite a while, but yeah a new amp is next on my to do list.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

There is no right or wrong way about buying a bass (...someones gonna say "Unless it's a Gibson/Epiphone" lol). If you need a 5 string bass, you have the money and know you either ; can't save up for more or don't wish to spend more on a bass, then buy what you can. Aslong as you don't fool yourself into believing it's going to sound like a more expensive instrument. I see no problems with buying a 'cheaper' instrument, if it feels right and you like the tone, go for it. I'd be much more content with an Ibanez GSR 200 over a Fender P bass, simply because I like the feel of the Ibanez neck and I know I like the tone from the Ibanez. But on the other hand, someone who likes chunky necks and a thumpy tone will take the P bass.

If you feel you NEED the bass go for it. You won't find a complaint about that bass here. If your tone/volume/general sound is lacking, buying this Ibanez won't fix that, a new amp will.