Hey everyone. I have an old 20 ft cable with a damaged inner wire somewhere in the middle of the cord causing the sound to cut out. I was thinking I could cut the cable and attach connectors to the ends for when I need either a short length or long.

My question is - is there some kind of science to the length of cables, or do they just go by standard general lengths? If I cut the cable to the wrong length, will there be a vulnerability to certain outside frequencies causing noise? Or will the guitar signal resonate, and bring out unwanted frequencies?
I think its just round numbers really, nothing special about specific lengths. The only thing is that longer cables generally need to be made to a higher quality to ensure a good signal gets through.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you basically want to cut your cable in two to make two shorter cables? If that's it then I dont see any reason why that wouldn't work. Unless you want to do something like this:

Male-----------------------------Male Female--------------------------Male

and connect the two to make a longer cable when needed. Then I think you'd be better off just cutting the cable you have into two standard shorter cables and buying a longer one. That way you have three.
TS, are you talking about patch cords between pedals and whatnot?

The only real science to a 1/4" cable is that you shouldn't go over about 20-25' long (unless you have active pickups)...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Yea, Snake, thats basically what I'm planning to do. And that makes a lot of sense thank you

I will just be going between pedals and my amp, and I wont be going over 10 feet so it should be fine.
What you're planning on doing should work just fine as far as I know.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.