I'm modding my strat with a volume pot mod and I've looked around the Internet and I can't find anything on how a volume pot works and what capacitors are and what they do and what 250k or 500k or 1m means. Any help anyone?
the lower the number the more high end (treble) is attenuated.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
a volume pot is a variable resistor.

500k = 500,000
250k = 250,000

this usually means ohms, (500k ohms)

the larger the number the stronger the resistance can be.

250k ohms has less resistance than a 500k ohms pot.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

A pot is just a resistor you can change the value of. There an input and two output (or if you wire it the other way two inputs and one out, but for a volume pot I think its 1 in 2 out), and one of the outputs goes to the output jack, and the other goes to the ground (gets eaten up and disappears kinda). When you turn it all the way up, all of the signal goes to the output that you hear, and the more you turn it down the more the signal goes to ground.

EDIT: Generally, 250k pots are used for single coil pickups, and 500k are used for humbuckers. 1M might be used in actives, but I'm not sure.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Mar 1, 2009,
*facepalm* so are you looking to replace a volume pot? if so, just follow a strat wiring diagram. if you go ask someone at the shop you're buying the pots/resistors from, they'll explain it to you. If you bring in your guitar they could even show you what needs to be done. http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/electric/stratocaster/501015-135.pdf
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
Quote by Cutlass_253
A pot is just a resistor you can change the value of. There an input and two output (or if you wire it the other way two inputs and one out, but for a volume pot I think its 1 in 2 out), and one of the outputs goes to the output jack, and the other goes to the ground (gets eaten up and disappears kinda). When you turn it all the way up, all of the signal goes to the output that you hear, and the more you turn it down the more the signal goes to ground.

EDIT: Generally, 250k pots are used for single coil pickups, and 500k are used for humbuckers. 1M might be used in actives, but I'm not sure.

actives use 25k pots. 1M is used with passives to achieve a wide open sound.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
actives use 25k pots. 1M is used with passives to achieve a wide open sound.

Ok, I knew it was something really small, or really big. That sounds right.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me