Page 1 of 2
Thought that I would post my DIY build of a Marshall Slant 1960 4x12. Here is the PDF of the plans that I followed. I used Baltic Birch 13 ply voidless sheets. (I am also looking for some Marshall 1936 2x12 plans. Have enough wood to build a 2nd cab).

I will up date the thread as I move along. I should mention that I am fortunate enough to have access to a master cabinet builder. My brother-in-law's father-in-law. The guy is just plain awesome. He has done most of the cutting and is assisting in the assembly. (Keeps telling me the assembly is monkeys work )

Here is my build sheet: Gear_Build

Input 1 - 8 Ohm (2-Greenbacks)
Input 2 - 8 Ohm (2-G12T)
Input 3 - 16 Ohm (all 4 speakers)

Good cab wiring info here http://www.jumbosunshade.com/ezine/swd4.htm

and

the cab joints will be held together with biscuits. Here is are some shot of the first days build..

More to come...

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Mar 6, 2009,
May I ask why you are not finger jointing this cab? Like... is there a specific reason? I was looking into cab building and this looks SO gorgeous, but the one thing i noticed was the lack of finger joints, and was wondering why?

Other than that, I am LOVING this build.... subscribed!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
yeah it looks like this is gonna be purdy subscribed
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Well we tried to actually dove tail it and the ply was just splitting apart. So we talked it over and the cab is not leaving my house so the next best thing was to biscuit it w/ gorilla glue. We talked about making a jig for a finger joint but for only 2-cabs not worth the time. It will be plenty solid.

The inner baffle frame and rear panel frame will be made from oak.

theDogger
why build a 412 and only use it in ur house? for home i would use a 212, max...btw, what amp will this be paired with?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
why build a 412 and only use it in ur house? for home i would use a 212, max...btw, what amp will this be paired with?

I just got a Blackstar HT-5 played it though a buddies 4x12 and it is so sweet...also have the Kranks Rev Jr Pro...

theDogger
how is the ht-5? havent got a chance to try it yet, but it looks nice

EDIT: also, what speakers? sorry bout the barrage of questions

EDIT2: its in the original post...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Mar 1, 2009,
I have been searching for a low watt tube amp for a long time. Heard the HT-5 at friends place and was sold. I can now play a tube amp at bedroom levels. My next amp is either going to be a Night Train and/or the Orange Dual terror.

the HT-5 sounds sweet....Youtube it! Sounds great for Stone Sour, SlipKnot etc......

theDogger
i intend to check one out on my next guitarcenter trip (busted a string)

i really like low wattage tube amps like my valve jr., so whenever i see a new one, i try it out.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
how is the ht-5? havent got a chance to try it yet, but it looks nice

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Erock503/

Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
best HT-5 clip i've heard so far is Eric's... (erock503)
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by theDogger
Keeps telling me the assembly is monkeys work

Well it pretty much is

Cant wait to see this finished, this and acoustics are very rare builds in here
Question....Is it good practice to combine such different wattage speakers? He is my reason for asking. I will have the 4x12 loaded on top w/ 2-Greenbacks (25watts) and on the bottom 2-G12T(75watts). Now the max wattage is determined by the lowest wattage.....so will the higher watt G12T's be affect much because of the lowest amount of wattage can be used?

Would I be better off loading the 4x12 w/ 4-G12T's and then load the 2x12 w/ the 2-Greenbacks?

or

loading the 4x12 w/2-V30's and 2-G12T's and then the 2x12 w/2-G12T's

Hope that made sense..

I am not able to work on the CAB until next weekend. I'll post more pics then of the 2 cabs

theDogger
I would actually suggest doing a 2 & 2 split on your speakers. It'll sound better that way. When you throw a ton of differant speakers into a single cabinet, you tend to muck up the sound a little. My personally suggestion would be two green back and two V30's. Those are my two favorite speakers, and when I set up my dream amp rig, I'll have my 1960 loaded just like that.

I'm not 100% sure how the wattage works out with it when you do that, but I would suggest looking into the wiring options. I would also suggest wiring the cab in stereo, as well, like the real 1960's, so that you can use it as your 2x12, as well. I tell you, I prefer my marshall cab running 2x12 over the 4x12 mode, personally. I feel like it's a little tighter sounding than having all four speakers going, plus you can run two heads into it at the point.

But if you mix and match speakers, try to keep it to 2 of each, not like... 4 different speakers.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
If you look at my 1st post you can see that I am making 2 CABS. A 4x12 and a 2x12. The 4x12 is going to be wired with 3 outputs which will allow me to basically have 2-12 @ 8 Ohm, 2-12@8ohm and all 4 @ 16 ohms. The 2x12 will have 3 outputs. 1-12 @ 8 , 1-12 @ 8ohms and 2-12 @ 16 Ohms.

So really I can run 2-12 Greens or 2-12 G12T's or all for a 6x12 If I wanted.. But in reality I will separate the cabs and leave one upstairs and the other down.
Quote by theDogger
Question....Is it good practice to combine such different wattage speakers? He is my reason for asking. I will have the 4x12 loaded on top w/ 2-Greenbacks (25watts) and on the bottom 2-G12T(75watts). Now the max wattage is determined by the lowest wattage.....so will the higher watt G12T's be affect much because of the lowest amount of wattage can be used?

You are correct with that the lowest wattage determines the max power that can be run through the system. So if you put two green backs into the cab, the max you could run into the cab would be 100watts. Now, that doesn't mean you can take a 100 watt Marshall head and dime it through the cabinet because you will overload the speakers. This is because that 100 watts is calculated at a certain % THD, and the amp can go well above that. I believe the rule of thumb is you want 1.6+ times the wattage to be safe. Though if you pay attention to how the speaker sounds, you can run a 5 watt speaker with a 100 watt head, you just need to have the volume turned down low.

So the amp you are running could be a factor in your choice.

It also depends on if you like how the speaker distorts. As the speakers get pushed to their limits they actually distort the sound, and speakers will distort the signal differently.

Because of how you are wiring it, regardless of where you put he speakers it seems like you will be able to get any combination out of them. Personally, I would go with 2 v30s (60watts?) or other higherish wattage speaker and 2 G12-Ts (75watts) in the 4x12 and put the two green backs into the 2x12.
Quote by theDogger
If you look at my 1st post you can see that I am making 2 CABS. A 4x12 and a 2x12. The 4x12 is going to be wired with 3 outputs which will allow me to basically have 2-12 @ 8 Ohm, 2-12@8ohm and all 4 @ 16 ohms. The 2x12 will have 3 outputs. 1-12 @ 8 , 1-12 @ 8ohms and 2-12 @ 16 Ohms.

So really I can run 2-12 Greens or 2-12 G12T's or all for a 6x12 If I wanted.. But in reality I will separate the cabs and leave one upstairs and the other down.

ah, missed that. I thought you were only doing the 4x12. I've popped in and looked at this thread a few times, but never posted. I guess we think alike
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Ok since I am not able to work on the cabs this week end I decided to burn the speakers in. I created a 50 mhz - 60 mhz sine wave that run for 30 min then I repeat it. I hooked up 4 of the G12T75 to the stereo and I am going to let it run for 8 hrs today and 4 hours tomorrow to really loosen up the spiders and break them in.

I still have not bought my last 2 speakers. Looking at the following....

Eminence Red Fang
Eminence Wizard
Celestion G12 Greenbacks
Warehouse Green Beret

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Mar 7, 2009,
Either the Greenbacks or the Green Beret's would be a safe choice and would work well with the G12T-75's, I've heard Red Fangs mixed with Vintage 30's and it sounded pretty good, so you would probably get a decent result if you mixed them with the G12T-75's.

I would go for the Greenbacks, you would definitely get a good mix with those.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Ok finally got a chance to work on the 4x12. Got as far as I could without the tolex and grill cloth. That should be here mid-week. Tomorrow I am going to cut the pieces for the 2x12. It is coming along well. Here are some more shots.

more to come stay tuned...

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by guitarcam123
that looks very nice

whens the next set of updates? I'll be waiting

this next weekend!

theDogger
Ok worked on the cabs this weekend again and today I just got the tolex, grill cloth and other misc. part here are some updated shots.

stay tuned...

theDogger
This looks awesome. I would try this myself, but I'm not that confident in my wiring.

Can't wait to see it finished!
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Got a chance to paint and cover the speaker baffle. Here is a shot of the finished product. The salt&Pepper was a little tough working with but got it straightened out. But the damn pics looks like it is not straight...

Going to have to wait until next weekend for a finished product. With Easter this weekend no time to work on it. All that is left to do is the round over on the edges. Then I can Tolex the entire cab and stuff it with the speakers and look out neighbors! I will also post he pics og the Marshall 1936 that I am also building.

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Apr 10, 2009,
I can haz puppy?

nice, I'm liking the S/P grille. gonna look good man.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by theDogger
Well we tried to actually dove tail it and the ply was just splitting apart. So we talked it over and the cab is not leaving my house so the next best thing was to biscuit it w/ gorilla glue. We talked about making a jig for a finger joint but for only 2-cabs not worth the time. It will be plenty solid.

The inner baffle frame and rear panel frame will be made from oak.

theDogger

masking tape over the area your going to finger joint and use wide fingers, it can be done as i had to do similar only 2-3 days age with very wide grained ply. just gotta be careful
Sorry for no updates. I am at the mercy of the owners shop. He had a project that he needed to finish. So either tonight or tomorrow I will have the cab ready to tolex and put the finishing touches on...I snap some shots and up date..

theDogger
Ok hear are some pics after I just finished sanding the cab. I am tolexing it this weekend and post more....

more to come...

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at May 9, 2009,
good lookin man
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Where have you been? I wanna see this thing!
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
Where have you been? I wanna see this thing!

Waiting on the Damn Tolex. The 1st time they sent me the wrong texture and had to return it...So this Friday is what Fed/Ex tells me...

So sorry for the loooong delay...I'll post ASAP!

theDogger
Page 1 of 2