Does anyone dig?

I have 'The Modern Dance' and it's a great record. Very surreal and experimental, in a dark way, but also very good.

I'm just ordering 'Terminal Tower' atm which I believe is a singles collection.
I've been meaning to check into them for a few weeks now. They sound really interesting.
If only summer rain would fall, on the houses and the boulevards
And the sidewalk bagatelles, it's like a dream
With the roar of cars and the lulling of the cafe bars,
The sweetly sleeping sweeping of the Seine...
Good band, but it took awhile for David Thomas's voice to grow on me. I used to hate his voice, now I just dislike it immensely.

I have "The Modern Dance" and "Dub Housing." I still need to give the latter a good listen.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Pere Ubu are pretty cool. I have The Modern Dance and Dub Housing, but I don't really listen to them that often.
Doolittle loves 'em, he never comes around here anymore though.
I too have The Modern Dance, but I've hardly listened to it since I first got it. I did break it out over Christmas break, though, and enjoyed it then. Fun fact for anyone that didn't know: David Thomas was the vocalist for proto-punk band Rocket from the Tombs, which also featured Cheetah Chrome, and I believe other future members of the Dead Boys.
That's right, does anyone have the RFTT album?

There's a lot of stooges covers, and 'Ain't It Fun' is really sloppy.

And the chorus to Sonic Reducer goes "Sonic reducer, I ain't no loser, sonic reducer, sonic reducer!"
Quote by BrianApocalypse
That's right, does anyone have the RFTT album?

There's a lot of stooges covers, and 'Ain't It Fun' is really sloppy.

And the chorus to Sonic Reducer goes "Sonic reducer, I ain't no loser, sonic reducer, sonic reducer!"

I downloaded it a long time ago, but I never really listened to it.
I used to have a few songs downloaded from that album, but I have no idea what happened to them.
I've had Dub Housing for about a year, and I still have not listened to the whole thing all the way through, I don't know why I just can't really get into it.

I absolutely love The Modern Dance tho, mainly because Non-Alignment Pact just is such a bad ass tune, that no matter what follows, it will be a good song afterwards.

And Brian, get the Terminal Towers, it's awesome. because it sounds really raw and garagey like.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
^ It turned up today.

I have to work out a load of the songs, because I need to do an extensive musical analysis of them for my final paper, which should be interesting.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
^ It turned up today.

I have to work out a load of the songs, because I need to do an extensive musical analysis of them for my final paper, which should be interesting.

That's bitchin' mate, for your class you had to a paper on a specific band. Is there a reason why you had to choose them or did you choose them?

Curious as a monkey named George.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by Mav-16
That's bitchin' mate, for your class you had to a paper on a specific band. Is there a reason why you had to choose them or did you choose them?

My paper's an exploration into how the relationship between progressive rock and punk isn't treated properly by academic writings (or by the average Joe). So my paper will look at how they are actually linked. And bands like Pere Ubu are obviously one of the links.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
My paper's an exploration into how the relationship between progressive rock and punk isn't treated properly by academic writings (or by the average Joe). So my paper will look at how they are actually linked. And bands like Pere Ubu are obviously one of the links.

Oh, like stated in that book you posted in the KC thread? I read some of it on Google then reseved it at the library.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Judging by your list of favourites, I'd say possibly not.

If you like some of the more experimental new wavey stuff, or like television but wish they were more fierce, you'd probably dig.
I'm playing "The Modern Dance" right now. My puppy finds it fascinating.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Quote by neidnarb11890
Doolittle loves 'em, he never comes around here anymore though.

I only came back for the Ubu.

So, no question marks involved... Pere Ubu. The play by Alfred Jarry is a great read, check that out. Dub Housing is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's a very complete album, enough quirkiness as if it's saying 'there are others like you out there...' Codex is the most haunting a winter day when all you have is your thoughts beside you. David Thomas is a fabulous and vibrate frontman, enough of that to rival the other David, Byrne.

Quote by BrianApocalypse
like television but wish they were more fierce, you'd probably dig.

haha this made me chuckle. The Television I listen to never have to wish, they naturally are, you're just missing out. Poetry in musical formats.

Last edited by Doolittle at Mar 5, 2009,
I love Pere Ubu and Rocket from the Tombs. Awesome bands. Buy me a ticket to the sonic reduction...
only have Dub Housing and have only listened to it a few times, but from what i remember it is pretty killer.

i'll give it another listen in a few.
Quote by werty22
I don't see any similarity whatsoever between Pere Ubu and Television.

Really? Fair play.