Hi i have a 60w half stack made by white horse, its been really good but due to being a student im moving, i have to leave the bass cab at home as its too heavy.
I was hoping to use the head only but when i disconnect the cab it produces no sound, is this normal or do i have a faulty one. If normal is there any way to trick it into thinking the cabs there with a small speaker or something.?
thank you
A head has no speakers...hence no sound.

You should never run a head without a load, either.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack

Yeah...cease and desist, MAYBE you haven't fried your output transformer yet. Always have speakers plugged in, period.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
First off, a head is an AMP. A cabinet is a SPEAKER (or multiple).

Like someone said before, an amp has no speakers, it is used to produce sound so that it can be sent to the speaker, aka the cab.

You may have ruined your amp by doing that.. How long did you play it like that?

This thread gets a huge facepalm.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
The only thing i could think to suggest, now that we've established that the head is the amp and it has no speakers, is for you to get a cheapo 1x12 60watts cab. then if it's still too loud (which it probably will be) then muffle it with a blanket? It'll sound horrible no matter what .

if its a solid state amp, it wont hurt it to run it without a load IIRC.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
if its a solid state amp, it wont hurt it to run it without a load IIRC.

it could, especially in the case of PAs
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Jesus christ, look at your god damn amp head. Do you see speakers ANYWHERE? what the hell do expect the sound to come out of?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by BaffAttack

pretty much sums it up...

however, if you do want to trick the head into thinking there is a small speaker i have heard that running an attenuator as a load and using the headphone out(on the attentuator) does work and not at the expense of frying your head

no idea if thats true though
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by the boogieman
pretty much sums it up...

however, if you do want to trick the head into thinking there is a small speaker i have heard that running an attenuator as a load and using the headphone out(on the attentuator) does work and not at the expense of frying your head

no idea if thats true though

If the attenuator is designed to act as a load box then you can. My blues jr currently has no speaker hooked up to it, only an attenuator.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The heads faulty take it back to the shop and raise holy hell that your half stack doesnt make any sound without the cab hooked up.

What do they teach in school anymore? I think we all need to watch "idiocracy" to see our future.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Mar 1, 2009,
"The heads faulty take it back to the shop and raise holy hell that your half stack doesnt make any sound without the cab hooked up.

What do they teach in school anymore? I think we all need to watch "idiocracy" to see our future.

Jesus christ, look at your god damn amp head. Do you see speakers ANYWHERE? what the hell do expect the sound to come out of?"

they certainly teach being a complete asshole in your schools (shockingly your american), and i cant see the speakers because they are covered you dickless ****, for this same reason i couldnt see if any were in the amp, i have'nt seen any amps that are not covered.

What a useless bunch of arrogant ****ers you are, i may not have a detailed knowledge of amplification and if i did i would'nt be such a piece of scum having a go at someone who politely asks for help. You would'nt be so big if you were'nt hiding behind your computers.

Thank you to the two people who actually suggested anything and didnt just take the piss.
This forum clearly a joke full of 13year old assholes. Im leaving.
lol bant
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups