yea the title says it all. it seems that everyday i need to re-tune just the 3rd string. i play a stock esp ec-1000 with d'addario 9 guage strings if that makes a difference. i have the locks on the underside of the head tight too. not sure if i explained that right, but when i say locks i mean the screw/knob thing that is next to the tuning peg for each string. i have thought that maybe its just my bad playing technique that it doing it but i really doubt it because its always just that one string and it happens like every day.

any ideas on why this is happening?
3rd string up or 3rd string down...?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
he prolly means the G (standard tuning)

mine does too.
that string is just gay on all guitars.
haha
how can you say the g string is gay theyre exciting

besides that horrible joke i think its the best string on the guitar it sounds awesome and idk that problem happens to me too sometimes
Quote by Brendan.Clace
3rd string up or 3rd string down...?

g string

3rd from the bottom. thats how they are normally numbered...? right?

Do you wrap your strings around the tuning peg when you string it?

....umm no... are u serious?
if you put the string through the tuning peg and then wrap it around but make it overlap with the string it helps it to stay in tune
i dont think i explained that very well but i dont really know how
yeah mine has the same problem. it has to do with the distribution of tension along and across the neck and the natural fluctuations the neck goes through such as bowing. factors like temperature and humidity affect your neck, i would even go as far as to say atmospheric pressure plays a role in it also, because air pressure can determine how a certain body will absorb or sublimate surrounding and interior humidity. atmospheric pressure, temperature and humidity levels change every day, so it's always a shifting battle. the middle strings (in standard: G and D) are usually the ones who go through this shifting process. the D string less often, because 9 times out of 10 its a wound string, so its much more resiliant. The G string however is very often a non-wound string, or solid, as i like to call it. its one entire string of a single metallic piece. so it can act quite flexibly. the middle strings are in the middle of the guitar neck, so when the neck bows and twists, they cant stay in middle ground, they roll off into one end or the other.

with these everchanging enviromental factors, the guitar neck will bow and twist. so you have yourself abit of a war going on, between your guitar neck shifting to the natural enviroment and the strings trying to keep their tension by pulling on the neck and bridge. its like a big war with multiple enemies all going against each other, sometimes some can be stronger than others. this is why guitar makers choose wood that can provide a certain amount of flexibility but can also sustain a certain amount of opposing tensions.
Last edited by metalblaster at Mar 1, 2009,
the string may be getting caught on the nut causing tuning fluctuations. A little graphite and you are good to do more than likely
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
the string may be getting caught on the nut causing tuning fluctuations. A little graphite and you are good to do more than likely

hwo are you supposed to lube the nut with a pencil? the lead doesnt fit in the grooves. i've always wondered that. i just put WD40 in the nut and it was good for like 2 days and it sucked again... i've tried chap sticka nd it was good for about 2 weeks and it sucked again.. apparently graphite is the best but i dont know how to do it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
A LOT OF PEOPLE are not installing their strings correctly. I've seen countless amount of people put their strings in the hole and just wind it. That is not the way to put on strings although it works half the time so people think it is. You need to look on how to do it properly. When I was younger I didn't put them on proper and my G string always came out of tune.
Quote by DKMfreak410
if you put the string through the tuning peg and then wrap it around but make it overlap with the string it helps it to stay in tune
i dont think i explained that very well but i dont really know how

ohhhh.. yes i do

when i string it i always leave about 2 inches of slack before i start tightening the string
Quote by hcsn2008
A LOT OF PEOPLE are not installing their strings correctly. I've seen countless amount of people put their strings in the hole and just wind it. That is not the way to put on strings although it works half the time so people think it is. You need to look on how to do it properly. When I was younger I didn't put them on proper and my G string always came out of tune.

uh if you do put in on properly, it will be better but the G string is ****ed up for everybody. I put them on properly. i tie it around the post once and make sorta like a tie and then wind it up. it works better for every string except the G string. i hear the string click in the nut sometimes. it gets stuck in the nut when i bend.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
^Then you have a bad nut.

Most tuning problems are caused by poor string installation or a bad nut.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Mine does the same thing every winter...it sucks...but if you throw a new set of strings on, it usually fixes it up
Quote by apak
uh if you do put in on properly, it will be better but the G string is ****ed up for everybody. I put them on properly. i tie it around the post once and make sorta like a tie and then wind it up. it works better for every string except the G string. i hear the string click in the nut sometimes. it gets stuck in the nut when i bend.

Well then it's obvious what your problem is.
I have the same problem, and its a composite nut...graphtech i think...but it's the same issue on all of my guitars...even my acoustic...and only ever on older set of strings in the winter.
g strings always suck. just do the tying trick everyone talks about when you restring your guitar and that should help it stay in tune.