I'm new to this

Actully, I've been atempting to sweep pick for a month,
But every I hit a note, (I'm still doing 3 String Sweeps) the note rings out when i take my finger off the note,

I've looked in the lessons but the notes keep ringing out,
I need MORE TIPZ
dont take your finger right off...kinda come off a little bit, muting it, then pull off.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
You could try a slight palm mute, which would help to deaden the string. However, it sounds different, and might not be to your taste.
RIP RICHARD DUNN
Try to take your finger off as vertically from the string as possible. Make sure your not doing a pull off on notes your not supposed to. After a while, you'll be able to left hand mute, and it'll make everything alot easier.
If you understand, take a look at my lesson in my sig.
--------12--15p12------------
----13---------------13-------
12------------------------------

^
^
Its always that first note that Rings.
try doing 4 or five string sweeps uhmm.........................or where ever on the fret board that patteren vv helped me when i started to learn
-10------
-----11--
-------- ---------13-------10
smacking bone kydd
Quote by shredderkidd
try doing 4 or five string sweeps uhmm.........................or where ever on the fret board that patteren vv helped me when i started to learn
-10------
-----11--
-------- ---------13-------10

lolwut? actually starting out with 3 string sweeps is fine, if he starts doing 5 stringers he might just end up getting the same problem.

TS, try the muting thing (not taking your finger off completely but muting the string first) and you should be fine. Take your time, there's lots of people out there who can't sweep even after years of practice
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
he'll learn to mute the strings that way i never said for speed i ment for learning to play them more fluidly the muting would be more dramatic and would force him to do it
smacking bone kydd
Quote by Slicer666
lolwut? actually starting out with 3 string sweeps is fine, if he starts doing 5 stringers he might just end up getting the same problem.

TS, try the muting thing (not taking your finger off completely but muting the string first) and you should be fine. Take your time, there's lots of people out there who can't sweep even after years of practice

those people are either mentally inept or just didn't really practice.

the majority of people who sweep palm mute. don't mute all at once it's more of
a dragging of the palm across the strings so you play open notes but after you hit them your palm slides over and kills the noise. properly lifting your fretting fingers is also key.

BIGGEST thing to rememer is play SLOW.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
I'm not extremely good at sweeping, I can only do 4 strings sweeps fairly well, but my 3 string sweeps sound very clean. So I'll just say what I did to keep my sweeping better.

I practiced with:

e----------13--17p13------------
B------15---------------15-------
G--14------------------------14---

The great thing I found about this, is that each finger only has one note to hit during the sweep. So there isn't an incredible amount of movement from your left hand. Middle finger 14, ring finger 15, index 13, pinky 17. When going 14 to 15, use the tip of your ring finger to stop the G string from vibrating. You can also palm mute as well, so if one doesn't work the other will sort of thing. From 15 to 13 same thing, mute the 13 with your index finger and try to palm mute as well. Lastly the 13 to 17 do an upstroke, and pull off. Then upstroke your rest of the way up to complete the sweep. It should be easier to mute the strings going up as you can use your fingers to lightly touch the other strings.
I'm gonna post somethong that may sound stupid. I noticed that no one asked him what guitar he uses....Now why ask him? Bcuz i had the same prob with my old yamaha... U see the action was **** and i couldn't set it bcuz of the fret buzz!!! What i want to say is that a ****ty guitar can make it really difficult for someone to learn things like sweep picking, arpeggios and stuff( mainly lead guitar stuff).... I'm not sure if this could make it that difficult for you to practise sweep picking but i'm sure it would slow you down!!! Damn i think i'm drunk again:P
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
Quote by FretKiller
I'm gonna post somethong that may sound stupid. I noticed that no one asked him what guitar he uses....Now why ask him? Bcuz i had the same prob with my old yamaha... U see the action was **** and i couldn't set it bcuz of the fret buzz!!! What i want to say is that a ****ty guitar can make it really difficult for someone to learn things like sweep picking, arpeggios and stuff( mainly lead guitar stuff).... I'm not sure if this could make it that difficult for you to practise sweep picking but i'm sure it would slow you down!!! Damn i think i'm drunk again:P

I'm ashamed that a drunk person came up with something more logical than me, who is completely sober... =(. Especially considering the fact that the main reason I was having such a problem sweeping at first was because of my guitar's aweful action.

Anyway, yes action can make a huge difference.
Quote by dman3011
--------12--15p12------------
----13---------------13-------
12------------------------------

^
^
Its always that first note that Rings.

Try bar'ing the 12's, rolling off the g string slightly so that you're still touching it instead of trying to get your finger off it in time to hit the high e.
Quote by Dragonblood21
I'm not extremely good at sweeping, I can only do 4 strings sweeps fairly well, but my 3 string sweeps sound very clean. So I'll just say what I did to keep my sweeping better.

I practiced with:

The great thing I found about this, is that each finger only has one note to hit during the sweep. So there isn't an incredible amount of movement from your left hand. Middle finger 14, ring finger 15, index 13, pinky 17. When going 14 to 15, use the tip of your ring finger to stop the G string from vibrating. You can also palm mute as well, so if one doesn't work the other will sort of thing. From 15 to 13 same thing, mute the 13 with your index finger and try to palm mute as well. Lastly the 13 to 17 do an upstroke, and pull off. Then upstroke your rest of the way up to complete the sweep. It should be easier to mute the strings going up as you can use your fingers to lightly touch the other strings.

Is it ok if i go,Index 14, middle 15, index 13, Ring 17. ???

-----------------------------------------

And i have a really Bad Setup,
Squire Affinity Strat, 3 single coil pickups,
Frontman 15w ( getting a new amp soon,)
Quote by dman3011

You'll do yourself a big favor by learning to use your pinky.
And that setup is fine for bedroom practicing, the tone won't be that great but right now you're just building up muscle dexterity and tecnique.
You don't need more tips, you just need more practice - you're probably just trying to play too fast before you've actually learned what you need to do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You don't need more tips, you just need more practice - you're probably just trying to play too fast before you've actually learned what you need to do.

This.
I'm going to kill myself if I read anymore of these sweep picking threads.
lol, people are gonna rip me for this decision but I say don't learn sweep picking :P
Learn some easier stuff and make your own style that doesn't involve sweet picking cos its too annoying. just get good at alt picking and screw the sweep. i dunno about other people but it kinda bores me after one sweep.
Quote by Dragonblood21

I practiced with:

Sounds like Bleeding Mascara.

It might not be ringing out; if you're trying to mute it, then it might come off as a harmonic. The 12 tends to do that a lot.
The harmonic is ringing out. Play the lick one fret up and it should solve your problem. Otherwise, play it slowly and mute properly.
Quote by dman3011

Deffenitly not. Just for heck of it, I tried it both ways, the way I reccommended, and that way. That way I felt much more stretched out, that 17 was a hastle to hit, and it was effecting how fast I can sweep it. My overall play was much sloppier, and sounded bad.

If you really are that uncomfortable with your pinky, I suggest just laying off sweeping for a bit, and concentrate on hammer ons with that pinky. You need to be able to use it just like any other finger if you really want to sweep well.

Quote by punkforlife93
Sounds like Bleeding Mascara.

Because it is XD. However Bleeding Mascara is also just a regular major arpeggio. Take the same lick, play it backwards:

e--17p13--------------13h17-------
B------------15-----15---------------
G----------------14-------------------

And you now have the beggining to Duncan hills coffee jingle =P. Just one step higher of course.
So you guys think its better to just practice more,
Or better teqnuiques???
to avoid that ring I use the base of my palm to stop the strings from vibrating further. When I am playing some really fast songs with sweep picking, I find it easier to just use the base of my palm. Its hard for me to do so otherwise.
Quote by ljohn
The harmonic is ringing out. Play the lick one fret up and it should solve your problem. Otherwise, play it slowly and mute properly.

the only non obvious thing that is super obvious....
+1 you win
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION