i know the scales and modes neccessary, but i cant seem to fuse them together to get the runs i want. i was wondering if there is something i need to know that i dont that will allow me to do this. I just want to be able to make the shred scale runs that all the pros do, but dont know how. any sort of help will be greatly appreciated thank you.
when you play a scale nd it gets up to the last note, try slidin it up a fret or two and then playin the scale back down a bit, then slide back to the original position nd finish the scale.

theres a variation to get ya started =]
''Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most'' - Ozzy Osbourne
This is why I tell people knowing scales and theory is great, but if you don't know how to apply it, it doesn't do anything at all for you in a band context.

This is where playing with others and songwriting experience needs to happen.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Start up slow don't just start burning stuff up as soon as the song starts. REMEMBER THE BEST SHREDDERS ARE THE ONES THAT CAN PLAY SLOW.
Look at For the love of God by Steve Vai or Why? by Joe Satriani. They build up to the fast shred tastic parts making them even more delicious.
Also its not always all about you, make sure what you're playing complements the progression.

BTW, Take all of that with a grain of salt as I'm a rhythm guitarist, but that's what I tell my students that wanna shred and they're gettin alright at it.
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by lunaticfringe93
Start up slow don't just start burning stuff up as soon as the song starts. REMEMBER THE BEST SHREDDERS ARE THE ONES THAT CAN PLAY SLOW.

BTW, Take all of that with a grain of salt as I'm a rhythm guitarist, but that's what I tell my students that wanna shred and they're gettin alright at it.

No man, you're completely right - slow sloppy playing is just going to become fast sloppy playing. Technique is corrected and honed slowly first before you even think about going fast. Speed comes with time - technique comes with hard work and leads to speed - trying to shred without proper technique is like trying to build a tower with a base made out of playdough.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I think you're thinking about this slightly the wrong way.

Nothing at speed is truly impovised (with the possible exception of Alan Holdsworth); it's all based on licks and patterns that have been practiced and perfected through hours of metronome work. The key is knowing your guitar, the backing and your licks well enough to be able to string them together so it sounds like you're really improv'ing at that speed.

Also it helps if you know as many licks as possible so you don't repeat yourself too often.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
try to play the position or pattern on the scale that your most familar with then move up or down in positions and every now n then throw in a blues or chromatic note try learning to shred on penatoic scale first prety easy to do lots of vidoes of ppl doin it too then work u way w.e scale u want ..takes a long time to flow in the fret board ..many hours of just figuring out what sounds good to you and figure out why it sounds good..youll get there eventually
smacking bone kydd