This is a pretty dumb question but i never really understood, what does Alternative and Experimental mean (the genre definition, obviously) ?
alternative is different from the current mainstream, albeit still not underground, and experimental is trying to do something noone has done before.
Alternative means your parents don't want you to listen to it and you can feel all rebellious for doing so.

Experimental means that even the artists are sure people will hate it, but pretend what they're doing is groundbreaking.
It means that alternative and experiemental artists (such as myself) can put out whatever the hell we want and call it "indie, alternative, experimental".
experimental = trying to get a listenable tune out of something that is usually not necessarily listenable
Alternative is like rock with a twist, like the cure and oasis and stuff

Experimental is usually really effects heavy and/or trippy. Lots of crazy stuff. Tends to be mixed in with other genres
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Experimental - pushing boundaries of music with new ideas and concepts

Alternative - It's a definable genre of music, sub-genre of rock.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Vermintide
Alternative means your parents don't want you to listen to it and you can feel all rebellious for doing so.

Experimental means that even the artists are sure people will hate it, but pretend what they're doing is groundbreaking.

This, plus overuse of widdly-widdly riffs that doesn't fit in.
Alternative isn't an alternative, it's as mainstream as the river Dee... and experimental is something that's relatively un-identifiable in regular genre terms.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.