i wouldnt, the carve top might be too durastic for the thin veneer to take and you'd get cracks, ect..
Is there a veneer that is small enough to put on it ? and what if i soaked it in water and then put it on would that work????
I looked into this alot for my build. The answer I got after a lot of research was no. You can bend wood in 3 diimensions slightly, but the curvature of a guitar is too great. Especially the concave parts where you knree goes. If you can find a way, then please tell me, but with steam and a vacuum press I couldn't find a single way.
^ + 1, you can arch a veneer, but you wont bend one over a carve

Quote by Duval67
^ Yeah, but you CAN do it that way.
It's just not done frequently.

lol wut? Its done ALL the time by loads of the major manufacturers, look at pretty much any PRS, thats one slap of wood with the contours carved into it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
is there a like paper backed veneer, cause i think i have heard of them befrore Would that work??????
Sorry about double posting but Is there a veneer that is like paper that can just be applied
There is iron veneer, but you still wouldn't be able to do it. To prove it to yourself, try and wrap a piece of paper over a ball or something. You'll see it wont work...
Quote by Absent Mind
^ + 1, you can arch a veneer, but you wont bend one over a carve

lol wut? Its done ALL the time by loads of the major manufacturers, look at pretty much any PRS, thats one slap of wood with the contours carved into it.

I was referring to bending the veneer.
^ oops sorry, mis read you

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Is there some type of paper wood veneer that i could put on it? i have a saga lp kit and it has some kind of really thin veneer almost like paper.

OR what id i put a thin veneer ontop on the guitar and then used a steam machine and soaked the wood before and bent it to the shape of the top using the steam? and then Dry it and glue it on?
Last edited by savage94 at Mar 4, 2009,
google search iron on veneer- there is plenty of sources. And I still don't think it's possible.
Theres the "veneer" they use on cheap furniture where its little more than contact paper with wood grain printed on it. But it might not look so hot or be very durable. The veneer TS posted would work on something like a strat with out all the complicated curves. Just boils down to the fact that flame maple tops for carve top LPs aint cheap. Book matched flame maple usually will cost what the guitar kit did.
it wouldnt work

youd get creases and cracks as an object like a veneer can only bend one way

its like trying to make a sheet of paper into a sphere impossible
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.