My dad said since my band is starting to sound better, he'd build us a home recording studio, but we don't know one thing about recording. So, my question is, what do I need. I imagine we can push about $250, but I don't know, it all depends on how necessary it is.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
minimum, an 8 track mixer with a couple XLR inputs, (if they still make ones with that low number of tracks?), i'm sure you have a decent computer, so use that, a couple hundred feet of cable would be in order, maybe, and last but not least good quality microphones (think about....2 per band member, but 4 or 6 per drummer)
On that budget.... or even triple that.... go to a project studio/home studio/demo studio and skip the DIY bit. You'll get a far better recording in a much shorter amount of time.

I mean, $250 won't even get you a decent set of monitors, let alone a decent vocal mic, a decent interface that will accommodate a full band, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 1, 2009,
You want to Get

An Electric Drumkit
A Line6 Toneport GX
An Decent mic
A good Set of headphones

and a Demos of Battery and Reaper.

btw...you could use that mic and take samples of your drummer's drums, then use them with battery or a freeware round robin drum sampler

And your Good to go...

That is all you really need!

Oh, and you might also want the Kefir VST plugin(free) and Download Guitar Hacks Impulses(free) so you can record your amps direct with a realistic cab sim on the PC.

There's somethings you need to get for free, but i dont have time to list them all right now :P
Last edited by Ploopx at Mar 1, 2009,
www.tweakheadz.com
check it out for some basics.
then come back with more specific questions.

just to get you started, here's the super basics of what you will need:
1) an interface (firewire or usb 2.0, with enough inputs)

2) Mic (condenser if you can only have one. though more is always better. SM57 is a good one to start with)

3) Moniters and headphones (if you have to chose one get the headphones)

4) stands, cables, blah blah blah

you will also need whatever software you plan on using.

-Ryan
Just a word of warning..

I have spent thousands of pounds and years of effort into my small project studio and have only just started getting half decent results..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Just because it takes thousands to get "pro" stuff, doesn't mean you can't get some decent stuff for a few hundred. You have to get started somehow.
You misunderstood. I wasn't claiming that you can't get started recording for that or that I have pro equipment whatsoever.

What I was saying is that you can build a studio for $250. You CAN buy a small interface and a cheap mic or two, have fun and get a usable demo out of it however.

Of course we all have to start somewhere, but TS doesn't sound like TS is getting into it to learn how to record. I think TS just wants to make a studio quality album for pittance, which is virtually impossible.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I use a Boss Micro-BR and Acoustica Beatcraft and they both seem to work fine. Got them both for under £150. I used open source samples for Acoustica Beatcraft and i use my own Guitar and Bass with the Micro-BR.

I get a fairly good sound from this mixture. I'm happy with it
Quote by willieturnip
You misunderstood. I wasn't claiming that you can't get started recording for that or that I have pro equipment whatsoever.

What I was saying is that you can build a studio for $250. You CAN buy a small interface and a cheap mic or two, have fun and get a usable demo out of it however.

Of course we all have to start somewhere, but TS doesn't sound like TS is getting into it to learn how to record. I think TS just wants to make a studio quality album for pittance, which is virtually impossible.

^fair enough

I just didn't want you to scare someone off simply because they didn't understand. What you said is true.
If your just wanting the tracks done, then go to a studio, if you want to have fun learing about it and doing it, then by all means go for it, but you are going to have to be in it for the long hall.