Been playing for about 2 1/2 months and I am trying to play Metallica Nothing else matters. This song is pushing my finger tips to the limit. How long do you need to be playing before the pain from holding the strings down goes away?
It really depends on how much you practice and what shape your fingers were before you started. It took me personally 2-3 months to build up descent callouses, but for anything with a lot of sliding and bending it will take a little longer to be almost completely pain free.
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
Another month or so and you'll be fine, depending on what gauge strings youre using that is.
Yep, you will definitely get over the pain. The key is to keep playing eventhough it hurts. Not to the point where you can't take it anymore, but hang in there. Once you are on the other side, it is much better. You will still get some finger or joint pain if you are trying something new or stretching, but it is all good.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
I used to love when I could feel the pain..haha especially with nothing else matters back in the day..play em till they bleed..fingertips will be as hard as a rock in a couple of months.
^^^It depends what you mean by finger pain, if your finger tips hurt keep playing, but if your fingers muscles hurt, don't keep playing. No point damaging yourself.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, don't play until your fingers bleed despite what brian adams thinks, infact don't do anything until you bleed mate, lol. Not because it'll impare you in the future, but because thats just stupid, And Who the hell wants to bleed.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Mar 2, 2009,
I don't even remember when it hurt like that to play.

it could also be your gauge of string or action.
that can make a big difference.
take ur guitar to a guitar shop and get a setup if you are serious about playing.
Its not expensive.

I don't get callouses I think b/c I wash my hands a lot, but I don't have pain.

Good luck man.
Depends on each person. After about 6 months of solid practice, you should be able to play at least 2-3 hours without too much pain.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Try playing an acoustic when you first start out...that will get you saying ouch
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
^^^It depends what you mean by finger pain, if your finger tips hurt keep playing, but if your fingers muscles hurt, don't keep playing. No point damaging yourself.

This is some of the best advice in this thread. Do not play through muscle or joint pain, you are damaging yourself if you do. Pain is your body's way of telling you to knock it off.

Finger tip pain is unavoidable when you first start, but your body is able to respond with callouses. Your body is not able to cope as well with joint pain, and you will end up with early arthritis if you keep pushing it. Instead, try and correct your posture and technique so that you can play without pain.
The pain is in the finger tips. Will keep at it. I am loving playing and wish I had started earlier in life
you just pulled yard duty.... now does anyone else's fingers hurt?
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Quote by mlfarrell
you just pulled yard duty.... now does anyone else's fingers hurt?

Lol, Happy gilmore?
Nice .

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Don't play until you bleed! Do you know how fast that'll rust up your strings?
Quote by b35ty
Don't play until you bleed! Do you know how fast that'll rust up your strings?

Or the hospital bills he will pay for bleeding out 3 pints of blood?

How can he get that pedal he was saving up for?!?!?!?!
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Honestly seems kind of strange to me that it would still be painful after that long. Unless you're not playing for very long periods at a time? Dunno. I started on a steel-string acousting, thick strings, fairly high action, and after the first week or so it didn't hurt until I had been playing for about an hour without a break. Could go pretty much as long as I wanted after about three. I don't actually have a solution other than "play through the pain" (that's what I did when I started, and it got pretty bad for the first couple of days) - just observing that it seems strange.
Quote by rigiddigits
Well I'm a girl and I don't want to die so I guess I'll have to choose to be raped.

Nobody sig that

Check out my gaming blog, Zombie Arcade
My first couple of weeks were rough. But by week 3 or 4 I was largely ok. Now 3 months in I still get some tenderness, especially when working on new techniques (hammer ons, bending etc.) that are somewhat outside of my regular routine.
Its completely normal. I've been playing long enough to know it comes and go's..

If you work on a song with lots of harsh bends, or something a little challenging, your fingers may hurt. I have calluses also, but sometimes if i really work at a song..the skin will pretty much fall off my fingers, making it quite painful.

There is not much you can do, but just rest up for a bit...

I started with an electric, so its been a gradual thing for me. The calluses grow on the tips of the fingers that you use most, and whichever part of the finger you use to bend with. It also gives some clues into your playing - I have hardly any hard skin on my pinky cuz i dont use it enough :/
i learned to play on an acoustic and it shredded my fingers.

i used to play untill my fingers where in agony for the first year and then after that i got used to it. i then strated to play through the pain, at one point i had my finger tips just barely bleeding.

after about 4 years i could finally play forver without pain at all. they just get tender now.
Recommended threads
The King V!
VanTheKraut
Last post:
by VanTheKraut
Slash wah
zeriom
Last post:
by motley.rockstar