How important is rythm in guitar playing? 2 months into guitar playing, should I really focus on this?
Well, rhythm is very imortant. I don't see how you could get away with NOT playing rhythm. Are you planning on playing only lead? That's not a very reasonable goal.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Rhythm is an essential part of guitar playing, whether you are playing lead or accompaniment. To improve your sense of rhythm you should work with a metronome. This will sharpen your sense of time and make you more aware of the feel.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Quote by philipp122
Well, rhythm is very imortant. I don't see how you could get away with NOT playing rhythm. Are you planning on playing only lead? That's not a very reasonable goal.

I wasn't talking about rythm guitarist vs lead guitarist I was talking about playing with good rythm ; keeping a constant beat.
Really freakin important...
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by LowEndSlacker
Rhythm is an essential part of guitar playing, whether you are playing lead or accompaniment. To improve your sense of rhythm you should work with a metronome. This will sharpen your sense of time and make you more aware of the feel.

QFT.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
how are you gonna make anything sound good when playing with someone else/or w/ backing track without having good rhythm?
I started a year ago and i neglected rhythm quite a bit, really focusing with picking scales/arps etc... Now i went back to the rhythm part, improved my strumming and time, that definitely helped out with the aspects of playing.
All musical compositions are composed using 3 main elements.
1. The Melody
2. The Rhythm
3. The Harmony

I'd say that it's very important. A song doesn't sound right unless you play it in the right rhythm/timing.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
It's pretty much the most important part.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Generally one would have to have a very strong base in rhythm guitar playing before actually playing any good lead work.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
For a large part, rhythm gives the listener a feel for the music, and allows the listener to make certain predictions about the structure. If there is no such foundation, or a very unstable/sporadic one, it can come off as very chaotic. Basically, rhythm is integral to music and its perception. Rhythm really should be one of your main focuses in playing, being clean and accurate is preferable.
Without rythm you have NOTHING.

Btw, isnt rythm a funny word? just like spelling wise?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
Without rythm you have NOTHING.

Btw, isnt rythm a funny word? just like spelling wise?

Well, spelling it correctly might help somewhat.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I know it sucks, and you're going to hear it a million times, but practice with a metronome. I've just recently started doing it, and I've gotten so much better.
Honestly...if you have no rhythm then how could you possibly play an instrument
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by RaggityAnne08
Honestly...if you have no rhythm then how could you possibly play an instrument

Look at Meg White!!!

Just kidding!
It's the most important part of a song.

Or, more generally, of playing an instrument. Without a proper sense of rhythm and timing, your playing is useless.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Mar 2, 2009,