Sorry mods, reposted here as I urgently need more responses to decide!

Just wanted some opinions on how Dimarzio Deactivators would sound in a Schecter Hellraiser Avenger? It's a 25.5" scale guitar with a heavy mahogany body, maple cap/top, set mahogany neck with rosewood f/board and is string thru..

Just never liked the emg compressed/fizzy sound, and had someone locally willing to swap and do the install for me, provided I pay for pots. The clarity and tightness of the emgs is all that i like, so the deactivators are meant to emulate that and are also high-output. Plus I really miss the feel of passive p/ups.

Thoughts/opinions?
How output pups tend to be compressed and can be fizzy. D activators are meant to simulate active pups. I don't understand your idea at all.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i think he's trying to find a high output passive pickup because he believes that active pickups are what is making his sound "compressed and fizzy"
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
i think he's trying to find a high output passive pickup because he believes that active pickups are what is making his sound "compressed and fizzy"

All high output are like that though, thats the nature of the beast.
I would disagree. Even my active Blackouts in my other guitar aren't as bad as the emg's in that regard.

I've also used a set of Duncan Invaders extensively and they're ridiculously high output but worlds apart in terms of feel (from the actives). Passives to me generally sound more open and uncompressed.
Agreed, but d activators are strictly designed to emulate actives, thus I think it's silly. If you like blackouts why not get those? You wouldn't need to replace the pots then I'd think.
I've already got blackouts in my other Schecter Blackjack atx FR, and though i like them, I miss the sound/feel/organics/dynamics of passives, I really do.

It's cos a local guy offered to swap my emg 85/81 for his D Activators and take care of all the install for me if I pay him for the pots, and I really wouldn't mind trying Dimarzio's.

I want the sound of my guitar to come through as well, as it's a very heavy, solid mahogany guitar, so I thought the sound might balance out nicely. It might just be my stigma, but to me, EMGs sound quite consistent, regardless of the guitar they're in.
Give it a try then, I didn't realize you were doing an even swap.
Quote by Kevin Saale
All high output are like that though, thats the nature of the beast.

yea i understand that, but i'm not sure the TS understood that

EDIT: oh i see what you're doing. you could give it a shot then if it doesn't work out too well, selling the Dimarzio pickups and try for some other brands.

but i have to say Dimarzio pickups in general are know for their clarity from what i've heard.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Mar 1, 2009,
I have swapped passive pickups before, so I figured worst come to worst if it's too trebley, i'll try 250k pots (going 500k to start with), and if I still don't like it, my guitar will be wired for passives so I can look around, buy another and swap em myself =D
Yeah, it's a great plan, it's makes a lot more sense now that you explain it. I don't see why you couldn't do a straight trade, pots and all. I mean, he'll need 1k pots like you have now and shouldn't need the pots in his current guitar.
He was originally just selling them for a fixed price, then mentioned he'd trade for EMGs, so I got the impression they were already out of the guitar...I will ask him about it though, as you make a good point. Hope the pot sizes are the same lol