I'm just wondering how hard it would be, starting out classical fingerpicking techniques on an electric. I was observing these videos, and his opinions varied. Maybe a hasty assumption to make but I'm guessing he learned those pieces on the nylon first, and perhaps that is why he had trouble transferring those pieces to steel strings.
I began my guitar experience fingerpicking on a classical guitar. I really like it but I guess it depends on what kind of music you want to play. I also fingerpick on my electric and I don't find it more difficult it just doesn't sound as well.
Quote by Fiths
I began my guitar experience fingerpicking on a classical guitar. I really like it but I guess it depends on what kind of music you want to play. I also fingerpick on my electric and I don't find it more difficult it just doesn't sound as well.

Mostly I'm into metal... but when it comes to fingerpicking, I'd mostly be playing classical. Pretty much I like the opposite sides of the spectrum and little in between.
So just to see if I get you. You wanna play classical on an electric guitar? If that's so then I think its cool. I just think that classical music sounds way better in nylon than steel. But you could give it a nice twist with an electric guitar. Its up to you.
Quote by Fiths
So just to see if I get you. You wanna play classical on an electric guitar? If that's so then I think its cool. I just think that classical music sounds way better in nylon than steel. But you could give it a nice twist with an electric guitar. Its up to you.

That's correct. I just wanted to know if it's insanely difficult or not.
Quote by G.9
That's correct. I just wanted to know if it's insanely difficult or not.

Oh, no, well the only difficulty, and a minor one, might be getting used to the different neck widths. And its not much of a problem to be honest.
Quote by Fiths
Oh, no, well the only difficulty, and a minor one, might be getting used to the different neck widths. And its not much of a problem to be honest.

I see. So it's just a matter of precision and getting your fingers between the smaller spaces... although I'm not sure. Nylon strings are thicker, yet neck is wider so that might balance it out in the end.
Sorry to resurrect this thread... but just wondering if you use steel for prolonged periods of time, whether or not the classical style of using your nails is a good idea. Or would you use more the meat of your fingers, kind of like the bass?
I'd think you'd be fine to continue using your nail but I prefer to play classical songs on classical guitars it just sounds much nicer compared to the acoustic guitar imo so yeah buy a cheap classical guitar ya stingy ****
Alright, I'll see how things turn out and what can be done.