Page 1 of 2
No, I'm not referring to the pre-Saint Vitus and Jag Panzer bands.

Tyrant was a small band formed in 1978 and released two killer albums in the 80's, Legions of the Dead and Too Late to Pray. Both of which are absolute essentials for anyone claiming to like traditional heavy metal. The latter, Too Late to Pray, is one of America's best albums(if not best) released during the NWOBHM. The band's "come-back" release in 1996 is still great, but not as good as the previous releases.

Metal Archives page: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=494

Behold the mastery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVHgTSOmO2Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgbhYgVY7o (OFFICIAL VIDEO for Too Late to Pray)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6E9F7enADI
Last edited by \Powerslave/ at May 3, 2009,
Yeah, I was really surprised by this band. The production is sharp and cold, like Scald's, but this band makes it work where others would crumble under it. The vocalist reminds me of a ballsier KEA-era James Hetfield, that can falsetto.
Not to be mistaken with the crappy Japanese band either...

I have Too Late To Pray and it's great
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Fvcking bump. God damn it! This band is so brilliant.

Metal has never seen a release like Too Late to Pray. It never has, nor will it ever see another release of the same magnitude. It never gets stale. I've been listening to it at least once a day for the last several months. The sheer amount of balls in Glen May's voice, the blistering solos, the brilliant drumming, the original bass lines...perfect.

Anyone who hasn't heard it has to listen to it. Too Late to Pray embodies everything metal. It is the genre's defining moment. Legions of the Dead is almost as good.

It makes me giddy inside to know that they're active again.
Well, I've been on a huge traditional metal binge the past 2 weeks, so, why not!
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
****, you're right. I'll get some up very shortly.

^Yup, it's very recent. Like I said, they've just become really active again. Had a their first concert in decades a while ago.
Wowza, that was a nice change of pace from what I usually listen to. Need to find more.

I'm honestly surprised these guys seem so unknown, must be because of the early break up, which is such a shame. Hm...how to describe them...it's like if Judas Priest got heavier, slowed down from time to time, created real atmosphere, unique production, and had had huge balls. I guess that's nothing like Judas Priest, oh well, the point is that this is quality heavy metal, which I usually stay away from except when indulging in nostalgia. Yet these guys really own their sound, I really dig the vocals during the choruses where its layered quite well, haunting and powerful.

Alright, enough of that, listen for yourself, the music speaks volumes more than my words.

Good find, thanks for sharing!
I'm glad someone really understands, and someone who I haven't seen post often at all.

Too Late to Pray is it's own beast. No other metal album is like it, since discovering it I've had to listen atleast once a day. It is the quintessential metal album.

Hopefully these guys come play a show near me, they've started hitting the live circuit quite actively. They played in Keep it True 12 (which had one of the greatest line ups, EVER) and several local shows in the last few weeks.
Eh well, their first album is nothing short of excellent. Very good traditional metal, it's just lacking the monstrous atmosphere and production values of Too Late to Pray. Their 1996 effort is very enjoyable, but is weak compared to the others. You can tell the band was dieing.

I have the highest possible expectations for their next effort, though.
You haven't failed me yet, Powerslave. I'll be picking up Too Late to Pray next time I make a cd order.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Awesome stuff, am digging it a lot. I downloaded Too Late to Pray, and it kicks major ass so far.
Started listening to Too Late to Pray, pretty cool stuff. Seems kind of like Show No Mercy/Hell Awaits era Slayer.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I've been listening to Legions of the Dead quite a bit lately. For some reason I'm surprised at how good it is. Like a mesh between early Slayer, Venom and Manowar or something. Good stuff.

I REALLY want Too Late to Pray but I'm having trouble finding any online stores that have it in stock.
Quote by Penisaur
I've been listening to Legions of the Dead quite a bit lately. For some reason I'm surprised at how good it is. Like a mesh between early Slayer, Venom and Manowar or something. Good stuff.

I REALLY want Too Late to Pray but I'm having trouble finding any online stores that have it in stock.

Too Late to Pray = Legions of the Dead + Better Production

Glen May sounds infinitely better with the boosted production. I had a hard time finding my CD too... most places are sold out of the '06 reissue.
Just recently came across this post and see some you have wondered where to find our past catalog. All three of our records - Legions of the Dead, Too Late To Pray, and King of Kings - are in the process of being re-released through an agreement with Old Metal Records. The new CD's will feature liner notes and never before seen photos, etc. However, at this time we have very few of the last copies Legions of the Dead available for purchase directly through our web page: www.myspace.com/tyrantrock.

We are also in the process of negotiating some possible shows on the East Coast.

Thanks for all the great comments! We appreciate hearing it!!

Cheers, TYRANT
^ Any plans for playing in Canada? And I'll be picking up a copy of Too Late to Pray when it's re-released for sure
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

^^ Awesome, I'll definately be picking up the TLtP reissue.

Also, how does the King of Kings album compare to the first two?
The closest we're going to get to Canada right now is New York hopefully this fall.

As for King of Kings comparing to the first two records, we had much more say in the final mixes on this one. Although it was recorded for a quarter of the cost of the first two, after it was done, we thought it was every bit as heavy...if not heavier!
You know, New York is on the other side of the continent from where me and Halo live.

Really great stuff
HEY, SHUTUPA YO MOUTH!

Ottawa has a better metal scene than Alberta atm. Nickelback? That's right.
Quote by severed-metal
You know, New York is on the other side of the continent from where me and Halo live.

Really great stuff

Hey man, we get Noctis at the very least.

But still.

My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

Quote by Penisaur
^^ Awesome, I'll definately be picking up the TLtP reissue.

Also, how does the King of Kings album compare to the first two?

On par, with only a few tracks that dip below quality.

Guess I'll be goin' out to New York this fall...
There's a copy of "Too Late to Pray" on vinyl at a local record store for 22 bucks.

Planning on getting it tomorrow so I can rub it in Powerslave's face. And so I have a copy of TLTP on vinyl >_>
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

AT THE BEGINNING OF THE END,
THE NAZARENE SHALL RISE FROM BEYOND
THE GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE!

This band is eternally untoppable. Just a little peeved someone wrote a 100% review for Tyrant before I could finish writing mine =\ .

So yeah, awesome band. Third album's been getting listens from me lately. It's kind of like Tyrant's version of Paradise Lost. It gets a lot of undeserving criticism when almost all tracks are on par with all the band's previous works, but with shinier production. There are only a few tracks that dip below the usual Tyrant quality. War is just an unstoppable song.
The Beginning of the End FTMFW
^ I still need to give it more quality time to really make final judgement. But I would say thus far that I like it more than the debut which I also enjoyed!

EDIT: And I just had 2 of my orders arrive today! So I have about 12 new albums sitting here that I need to find time for (such as the new TGoS!!!!!!!!)
Last edited by Penisaur at Oct 1, 2009,
Bumping this because ****.

****. This band is amazing. I raged for at least an hour when I read a review giving Too Late to Pray only 80/100. Raged.

Listened to all 3 albums today. Been a long time since I've done that. Best day of the week.
I actually just did some Legions of the Dead yesterday. Blew my balls off as expected. Great band, I'm glad the mighty Powerslave raved about them enough to get me to look into em those several months ago :O
The pain, the pain, the inescapable pain
The smell of burning flesh and bone
Is driving me insane!!!!
I've found Jesus
^ Contra, you don't even know this band!
Page 1 of 2