http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfu1SIWMRLk

While I realize that's not the greatest musically(and yeah that kid is like 12), but I'd like to incorporate some of those techniques into my playing. A lot of that I realize is just generic shred/soloing technique but I can't seem to find any good videos or lessons online that teach me what to actually do technique wise. I can pretty much play that fast (or close enough to work towards it) I just don't really know what to do to sound more shred-like lol.

So does anybody have links to some lessons or w/e that show just basic techniques like those in this video?
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
He's mostly just using generic pentatonic scale licks, just played really fast, coupled with a wah. By god, he must be Kirk Hammett!!
Haha yeah, the reason i said it really wasnt that good, just technique wise it was pretty solid. I can play pretty fast i just dont know what to do with my speed lol
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Well do you know all your scales? Modes? You can't just be fast to be able to shred. You need to know the theory behind everything, and how the notes connected with each other and such.
Quote by TatarSalad2
Well do you know all your scales? Modes? You can't just be fast to be able to shred. You need to know the theory behind everything, and how the notes connected with each other and such.

+10 Billion.

Even if you can pick 3000 notes per second that does not make you shred, what makes you shred is the music theory :P
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Yeah I know my scales pretty well, I'm working on modes, I understand the concept of them but am still trying to put it all together. Its more just general techniques that i need to learn. I can improv okay, just not fast, not so much because it's necessary to build up speed, more like I'm not sure what to do within the scale that'll sound good or shred like at fast speeds.
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Last edited by JWD32792 at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by JWD32792
Yeah I know my scales pretty well, I'm working on modes, I understand the concept of them but am still trying to put it all together. Its more just general techniques that i need to learn. I can improv okay, just not fast, not so much because it's necessary to build up speed, more like I'm not sure what to do within the scale that'll sound good or shred like at fast speeds.

If you know your scales and you got some speed try to improvise using those scales... Then just speed up what you like and guess the best part of that, Your playing your own music!!! How cool is it huh?

You should take some music class on improvising :S
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Yeah, I have a guitar teacher but he isnt too helpful with the improv stuff, he just keeps teaching me chord shapes (which I know I need to know but a little bit of improv mixed in would be appreciated).

And yeah I know I can just speed it up, but shred has a different nature to it, not everything sounds good fast
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab